• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Good Morning from Finland

pschlosser

Reaction score
Yes, good catch! ChalleRT, I say build a 440 Challenger R/T, get a new fender tag made and drive it!
I vote an accurate repop fender tag and go with it. BTW, column shift doesn't totally suck, IMO. Its pretty decent when you can shift without a hand leaving the wheel. Just sayin.

ChalleRT

Reaction score
Thank you, all Mopar fellows..
The cowl number matches.
The previous owner, who has maded the fender tag, said that, there has to be mistake made in Usa, the man who made the tag, some years ago. I will not mention any names, i hope it´s just somekind of mistake.
I will send you more pictures later.

Sorry, my english can be quite bad:p

ChalleRT

Reaction score
So you think, that only thing that Not matches between build sheet and tag, is that C16, center console?

340challconvert

Reaction score
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
Sounds like a great project
You are lucky to have the build sheet; it will allow you to build the car correctly after having an new more accurate tag made!

pschlosser

Reaction score
So you think, that only thing that Not matches between build sheet and tag, is that C16, center console?
Correct, if it was originally a column shift car, it would not have the center console on the floor to shift. The prior owner may be trying to add the console with the C16 code.

This is not a factory mistake. It is a common change people want to do to their cars, those with column shift would rather have the center console and a floor shift.

A common change, maybe, but this guy is trying to make it look like it was original from the factory, when maybe it was not.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Glad the cowl numbers match! Time to build it back. Like Pschlosser says, someone was trying to make the car into a console shift. The column shift would actually make the Challenger more unique in my opinion. Since you have the broadcast sheet you can get a correct fender tag made. Doesn't David Wise of MMC Detroit make fender tags? David has created some amazing restoration reference manuals.

ChalleRT

Reaction score
I dont´t mind, if it´s a column shift. Maybe i will build it with console anyway(the slapstick shifter came with the car), but i like that the fender tag is a real deal.

is it possible, that my car has not sure grip originally? i think by numbers, it has no any "axle package". When i crawled under the car, calculated the drive shaft turnings, maybe that has 2,73 gear, and no sure grip. 489 case with "x" marking

Last edited:

pschlosser

Reaction score
Column shift doesn't suck, IMO. Maybe not as nifty as the center console with small storage. When shifting, it does seem a little better shifting with both hands on the wheel. :)

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas!
Keep ‘em alive anyway you want. 👍🏻

Back