• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Good price for a used 440?

Amsterdam84

Reaction score
I have seen a 440 complete with transmission for sale locally for $500. It's said to be out of a 75 winnibago. Is that a good deal?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
decent , they are low compression so they need a full rebuild , I would just install a 512 " stroker kit . you are basically just buying a core

cudas rule

Reaction score
More info on that 512 stroker kit, I also have a 440 from a winnibago 1977. Would I have to have block or heads machined, or does it all just bolt right in?

jvcuda

Reaction score
More info on that 512 stroker kit, I also have a 440 from a winnibago 1977. Would I have to have block or heads machined, or does it all just bolt right in?

That depends on on which kit you use. Some cutting back on the bottom of the cylinder walls might be needed to clear the rods,and the oil pickup tube boss area is another spot. Find a kit that uses chevy size rod journals for better clearance.Recommend you pick up Andy Finkbeiner's book "How to Build Max-Performance Mopar Big-Blocks" it's loaded with good info.

John

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the stroker is an easy build but you need to machine the block for proper cylinder clearance forthe pistons & normal block & head machining is required , most of it drops in & fits JVCuda is bang on , minor clearancing in the bottom of the bores & near the oil pickup boss is generally all that is needed

Back