• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Has anyone run a turbo action 727 full manual transbrake valvebody on the street

TIMINATOR

Reaction score
Well, that's the question!
Building a fun 440/512 stroker in a 72 Challenger. Expecting around 750 streetable HP. I ran a TCI full manual in my last 468 Nova TH 400 with no issues, but I have no experience with the 727 and the carb linkage. Will I need the kickdown linkage for trans pressure? I talked to Transgo today and didn't get much info.
TIMINATOR

68 HEMI GTS

Reaction score
Manual valve body does not require kickdown. Unless you already have the T/A valve body I would go with a Cope or A&A with low band apply. Also 727’s need a good sprag and an aftermarket front drum. I have manual valve body’s in all my cars street and strip, only 1 has a brake. Not a huge deal but you do have to engage the brake for reverse. Makes backing up a 1 hand on the steering wheel deal.

Challenge360

Reaction score
Well, that's the question!
Building a fun 440/512 stroker in a 72 Challenger. Expecting around 750 streetable HP. I ran a TCI full manual in my last 468 Nova TH 400 with no issues, but I have no experience with the 727 and the carb linkage. Will I need the kickdown linkage for trans pressure? I talked to Transgo today and didn't get much info.
TIMINATOR
I ran a manual shift, in my car, for over forty years, with no incidents. I ran a modified, home made one, and then a cheetah. The only drawback, was the freewheeling first gear, when coming to a stop. The only reason I switched, to a stock vb was because the car was restored. I ran a nine inch converter, with no issues, as well.

TIMINATOR

Reaction score
I got a new Turbo Action Cheetah in a box of new old stock goodies with the 72 Challenger purchase.
So what is the deal with the lack of band apply in low gear? Does it just freewheel when coasting in low when slowing?
The car has a 440, 280 cam, 800 dp, headwork, big valves, headers, 4.10s, dual 3" exhaust, roll bar, subframe connectors, raised front spring eye location, and inboard relocated springs that I did for the owner when I was in business years ago.
So I finally managed to buy it and for Christmas I bought a 512 billet crank, rods, 270 alum heads, billet caps, tall single plane, HP 950, roller rockers, fabled rocker covers, alum pump housing and pump, dual diaphragm brake and M/C assy, and drag radials.
It has an 11" 2500 stall too, and I'm pretty sure it's gonna stall a lot higher than that behind a 512.
Plans are for about a [email protected] solid roller and the trans brake. Should be a fun street car!
I'm also doing a tilt column, P/S and Vintage air. It gets hot here in AZ!
My 72 Chevelle ran 10.80s@124 with an iron headed oval port 454 on Hoosier Street tires thru the muffs back in the 90s with p/s, p/b, a/c corked up, 3000 stall and 3.73s,driving it 30 miles to the track. I could stall the 3000 10" to 3800 on the foot brake, so I think the 2500 will work for the 512.
I believe the aluminum headed Challenger will be lighter than the iron headed Chevelle too.
I'm hoping for low 10s on the motor, and I have a plate system to get it in the 9s if all works out.
The 440 /727 was in my 75 shortbed truck and on street tires with the same plate system (1998) and ran one no traction pass at 11.17@119 on old M/T L-60s.
No roll bar. No 2nd pass....
The next dilemma is, patina or paint for the Challenger?
TIMINATOR

68 HEMI GTS

Reaction score
The low band apply takes load off the sprag in first gear. Not necessary but more of an insurance thing. I have 2 512’s, both similiar combos to what your building. Both pump gas. One runs high 10’s in a 4000# (w/me) 69 roadrunner (street car) other is dialed in at 10.0’s in a 69 dart. Your convertor isn’t going to work for the combo. You need a trans brake built convertor or you’re going to make scrap parts real quick. Vert is also to tight anyway. You’ll need something that flashes at least into the low 4’s. 9.5” vert is more like it. Also scrap the 950 carb if it’s one of those 1.45 Venturi carbs. Too small, buy a 1050 dominator on it and get it over with.

TIMINATOR

Reaction score
No arguing, but I ran the Chevelle for 3 years with a Hughes 3000 convertor and weighed 3650 with me in it. It stalled 3800 on the foot brake (one of my part time guys worked at an industrial brake and clutch place and put soft linings on the entire length of both shoes). The bored 454 (482") had iron oval port heads w/ 2.19 and 1.88s, a Dart single plane, 800 Holley (no choke), and a Comp cams solid street roller 262°@.050, .651 lift, 2" headers, 3 1/2" exhaust, and dynomax 3" super turbo muffs. 10.80s@ 124 on the motor, upper 9s on the plate.
The only reason I was gonna try the brake was because I have it. Prolly a bad idea. I'll try what I have and see what stall it likes. The 2500 hughes is in there with the mild 440 and I'll play with that til the 512 goes in there. I will see what the powerband is without the plate or brake. Then get the 727 done and buy accordingly.
I have a 1050 and an 1150 sitting here from old projects, but the manifold fits a 4150 carb, so I'll try the Holley HP 950 first.
Thanks for the input!
TIMINATOR

Back