• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Heater box mounting problem

SFEbody

Reaction score
I have a 70 Challenger that the heater box is hanging down and the gasket on the passenger side is about 7/16 inch from touching.
What I mean after installing it, it will not fit flush at the top of the car metal. It hangs almost like the weight of it pulls it down away from the cowl.
Picture Heater 1 up tight with it propped up. Picture 2 without anything holding it up.

I tightened the 3 nuts by the heater blower motor while bracing up the heater box but it still hangs down when I pull the brace out.

Any suggestion???

heater 1.jpeg

heater 2.jpeg

Reaction score
It looks like you're missing the "J" hook that holds the right side up to the cowl. It goes in the flat recessed area right above the cable in your picture. (between the cable bracket and the lever the cable hooks onto) It has a hook on one end and a 90 degree bend that is threaded on the other, it's about 4 or so inches long. You hook the top over the lip in the cowl and them tighten the bolt to snug the heater housing up to the cowl. I'll try to find a picture later today.

Reaction score
Just dragged my spare heater box out of the crawl space, J hook is missing. Looked in both parts book and service manual, it's mentioned but no pictures.
Some one must have a picture of one.

SFEbody

Reaction score
Ok J hook arrived but now the silly part, can anyone tell me how to install it? looks to me like it is way to long?

Steve340

Reaction score
An E body one is short about 2 and a half inches long. You may have the wrong one.
They are hard to fit. I got mine in by putting my hand up through the air vent hole.
Usually Mopar stuff is really well designed and easy to fit. Whoever designed that hook system clearly never had to fit one - or did I do it wrong???????????

challboy728

Reaction score
Anybody have any suggestions for installing the J hook? I have not been able to get mine hooked up. Is there a trick to getting the hook engaged?
I spent far too long trying to get this hook installed!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

moparlee

Reaction score
Anybody have any suggestions for installing the J hook? I have not been able to get mine hooked up. Is there a trick to getting the hook engaged?
I spent far too long trying to get this hook installed!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Remove the cowl screen on the passenger side and have someone reach in to the vent opening to hold the J-hook in place on the lip of the vent hole while you tighten it.

Back