• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Heater core shutoff valve.

ABFlynn

Reaction score
Wanting to install a shutoff valve to the heater core to stop some heat entering into the inside of the car. My question, is the hose on the top going into the firewall the one that I need to put the valve on?

54FEC412-7233-4646-A6E9-3AB085F01A9B.jpeg

tonysrt

Reaction score
I put a 1/2" ball valve, on a B or hemi, on the water pump and shut it down in the summer. On a small block might be able to do it off the intake manifold maybe 3/8" ball valve.

ABFlynn

Reaction score
Can those valves be found at a auto parts store? This is for a 440.

tonysrt

Reaction score
There in plumbing Dept. at Home Depot or Lowes. You will need need a short nipple 2 1/2 to 3"to connect to the water pump and then put hose nipple in ball valve. I used brass nipples and don't forget to use pipe dope or tape on the fittings.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I just looked again at the setup and I used a street elbow into the ball valve and then the hose fitting into the street elbow. The street elbow makes the setup more compact. If you can wait I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. I worked in the plumbing field for 20 years so I know a little about working out some of our plumbing problems.

ABFlynn

Reaction score
That’s a interesting setup! I know that’s the inlet side for the heater core. So that would be the upper hose going through the firewall?

tonysrt

Reaction score
Yes it is the upper hose. As you can see ball valve is shut for summer operation.

Robert Franke

Reaction score
Lol...doesn't matter..just stopping flow. Figure out what size hose you have and install a shut off valve..3/4 or 5/8..find a spot..2 heater hose clamps and your done. Most parts stores have them..mines on rt fender in line with hoses..cable controlled

volunteer

Reaction score
(LOL) Suggest using in-line valve near shock tower, or closer to firewall, as putting it on manifold looks a bit too Red Greenish.

tonysrt

Reaction score
That's a Gen 2 Hemi, you think anybody notices that valve when I open the hood.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I never said it was an original hemi car. When crate hemis came out in 2000 I had to get one. It was an original 383, 4 speed Cuda. To go along with the hemi has tremec 5 speed and Dana rear.

flohemi

Reaction score
Wanting to install a shutoff valve to the heater core to stop some heat entering into the inside of the car. My question, is the hose on the top going into the firewall the one that I need to put the valve on?

View attachment 73915
Hello, if you didn't put in a valve already, it doesn't matter which hose you put it on it will stop the flow of hot antifreeze either way. I would put it right at the firewall and face the valve handle down. Use a 1/2 gas valve with a nipple on both ends, they are small and you can paint the handle and valve black.

tonysrt

Reaction score
Listen there are several ways to do this, but use a little common sense. Putting any weight on or near the heater core is asking for trouble, your adding 2 nipples and the valve near the heater core. A gas valve is very hard to open and close because they never want it to close from vibration. So you may add stress to the core when you may need a tool to open or close the gas valve. My way is on a solid mount and the ball valve is easy to open and close and definitely no stress on the delicate heater core. By the way gas valves are available in ball valves also.

Back