• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hemi head gasket

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
I had a '66 Hemi rebuilt by a guy that has built at least 15 engines for me over the past 20 years. He admitted that this was his first Hemi, but as he is such a perfectionist, I didn't think there'd be a problem.

It's the original engine to a car we restored and after we installed it and fired it up, there are 4 oil leaks, one at the outside corner of each head. It's right at the point where the oil returns are.

The rebuilder offered to come and fix it, but I'm wondering what was done wrong the first time and what can be done to be sure it doesn't happen again.

Is there a particular "method" other than the standard torque sequence that needs to be followed to be sure there's no leak?
Is there a particular brand of head gasket that's better than the others?
Is there a particular sealant that's better than the others?

Thanks for the help, guys!

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I would guess it is because of the gasket not your builder. I have always used Felpro with no problems.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
FelPro are good , Cometic are awesome if the surface is smooth enough . Not sure why it would leak the Hemi gasket is different from the wedge with the oil drain from the heads in the corners but there is no pressure there it is just a gravity return through the block so wrong gasket used maybe ??? The problem may be obvious once the heads are removed

Back