• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hemi swap ecu

Hubes71

Reaction score
Looking for advice on which ecu to use. I am currently running a factory ECU to run my 5.7 hemi. I really need to loose the DBW and gain some tuning capabilities. I am using a Hotwire wiring harness and plan to just pin out to whatever ECU I use. The two I am looking at are the MS3 Gold Box and the MS3 Pro. Anyone out there using either? Pros and cons?

1632Hemi

Reaction score
Looking for advice on which ecu to use. I am currently running a factory ECU to run my 5.7 hemi. I really need to loose the DBW and gain some tuning capabilities. I am using a Hotwire wiring harness and plan to just pin out to whatever ECU I use. The two I am looking at are the MS3 Gold Box and the MS3 Pro. Anyone out there using either? Pros and cons?
What mods have you done to the engine that the stock ECU would not be able to handle?

Cudazilla

Reaction score
Is the factory computer you are using not tuneble? I thought the pcm hotwire uses are able to be programed.

Hubes71

Reaction score
Hotwire uses a reflashed '05 truck ecu. Any research I have done suggests that eliminating the drive-by-wire is impossible on factory computers.

Cudazilla

Reaction score
When you say you want to do away with drive by wire, are you looking to run a carburetor? If so MSD has a controller the Hemi 6, if that's what your thinking.

Hubes71

Reaction score
No, still keeping fuel injection. Just want to go to cable controlled throttle body and user friendly tuning software and a few extra inputs and outputs.

1632Hemi

Reaction score
The early Hemi trucks had a cable pedal that went to a box that sent a signal to the drive by wire throttle body If you wanted to retain the stock pedal? Have you considered retaining the stock ECU and throttle body and use a tuner like the Diablo

Hubes71

Reaction score
I run a modified drive-by-wire pedal that has the factory challenger pedal grafted to it. The issue I have with the drive-by-wire is not mechanical, it's the lack of throttle response. This is my second year driving it and it's time to upgrade to something better .which brings me back to my original question - does anyone have experience with an aftermarket ECU? I believe that there is only so much you can do with a factory (truck) ECU.

Cudazilla

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the megasquirt setup your asking about. I looked it up out of curiosity and it looked like a pretty nice setup. The ability to fine tune the engine seemed like it has potential. So I too am a little curious if someone else has used this ecm. I personally think that if you can tune every aspect of the program is a double edge sword. You have the potential for big HP gains and on the other hand you can possibly mess something up with the wrong timing or fuel trim,run lean and have detonation. There has been people on challenger/srt sites that run the HP tuners software and change things up and end up cracking a piston by the ring due to the wrong settings. I don't want to scare you on the subject but hopefully someone here has some experience using those ecm's you asking about that can help you out better than I can. Have you looked into a Diablosport tuner that you can possibly install a pre-installed tune for more throttle response or CMR tune if you have some other modifications? Maybe another option as well.

Hubes71

Reaction score
I here ya brother. Scares me a bit too. I'm hoping I can network with enough people to find a good base tune and use the on board auto tune to get me close. From there make tweaks as I go - nothing crazy . I'm a bit of an old dog dying to learn some new tricks.

Cudazilla

Reaction score
I thought I would mention in case you didn't know, there is build thread on FBBO where someone is building a 69 super bee with that MS3 gold box. Maybe follow his thread or ask his opinion on the pcm if that helps. Just search ms3 and his thread comes up. Good luck!

Cudazilla

Reaction score
I know this has been a while, but holley just came out with the terminator x system that can use cable throttle body or dbw. What's nice about the whole setup is that it self calibrating. Another option to help out the hemi swaps.

Cudazilla

Reaction score
It's about time, it originally came out for the chevy ls platform and they just expanded to the gen III hemi and coyote engines. I think this is gonna make these engine swaps alot easier, especially if you have mods like cams, intakes, injectors and even turbos.

hpjunke

Reaction score
I’m
using a Microsquirt for my 87 Turbo Mustang .I like the Ability to download free software and tune it myself .Also has great features that you can add in a minimal cost like controlling different things shift lights two step all that cool stuff

hpjunke

Reaction score
Also i was going to say you need an 07 and up pcm and have it tuned , they have more tuning capabilities then the first gen ecus

Back