• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hood won’t latch.

JKCuda

Reaction score
So I’m working on finishing up my 72 restomod and I’ve run into an issue that I’m continuing to struggle with. The hood is aligned great, closes about 98% of the way, but the striker will not fit into the latch. The latch is moved as close to the rad support as possible and the latch only fits one way. I have replaced the latch as I thought it was bent but it is not. The striker is not forward enough so the front bend is hitting where the latch closes over the striker instead of the flat part of the striker so it refuses to snap over and close.

Has anyone experienced this before? I would post pictures but it’s almost impossible to get one with the hood down.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I don't know what car were talking about beside an E body, maybe you have the wrong receiver that accepts the latch. The other basic thing is make sure the receiver is open to accept the striker, which is the loop.

Last edited:

JKCuda

Reaction score
I don't know what car were talking about beside an E body, maybe you have the wrong receiver that accepts the latch.
72 Cuda yeah. It’s a repop latch but it’s the only one I could find that is made for a E body. It’s a dynacorn piece.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Use a large Phillips screw driver from the front and push down. I might be hanging up if it doesn't latch. If it latches move to step two.
1708366704979.jpeg

Last edited:

JKCuda

Reaction score
Use a large Phillips screw driver from the front and push down. I might be hanging up if it doesn't latch. If it latches move to step two.View attachment 119505
I used the spare striker. It latches fine when the striker is inserted with the flat part. If i slide it towards the engine though, like it is in my photos, the latch will not snap over top of the bar because it’s hitting the rounded portion of the striker.

Either the striker needs to come forward, which I don’t think I can do, or the latch needs to move towards the engine. I may end up having to pull the latch support and grind out the mounting holes so I can slide it backwards I suppose…?

IMG_2173.jpeg

IMG_2174.jpeg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Move panel and latch mount adjustment. hood strike is fixed unless the hood is moved. Where the panel mounts to the center of radiator support might need need worked. Tweaked!

Last edited:

JKCuda

Reaction score
Move panel and latch mount adjustment. hood strike is fixed unless the hood is moved.
Kind of figured that was the only trick in the book. I’m going to have to modify it then, I can’t move it back any further. Quite an oversight by the guy who did my body work but that’s a whole other story…..

JKCuda

Reaction score
Whats your door gap?
Not home at the moment but I can’t close it up at all. We had to modify the fenders a bit to even get them where they were so the door didn’t get hit when opening. I’ll figure it out with the latch I suppose, everything has needed tweaked on this car so what’s one more thing haha.

tonysrt

Reaction score
Get some clay or silly putty and put on the bracket and close hood you'll be able to see where you're coming down on.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, and there's still just a little adjustment like you guys are suggesting, but the stricker looks kinda "fat" to me and the radii look bigger than stock.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
That's kinda of what I was thinking. but he is saying it need to move and it will latch. Maybe grind it down if adjustments don't work.

Xcudame

Reaction score
One thing for certain, after opening and closing the hood about two thousand times or so, everything will "key" together. My 70 Challenger (54 years and 250k+ miles) is certainly not tight at the latch anymore! Might just need to take a rattail file and slot a couple holes slightly and it'll fit fine.

JKCuda

Reaction score
Looks like the striker is bent/not straight...
I thought that too so I replaced it and both are identical. If anything, the one mounting hole is slightly indented but that would only affect the left to right, not the forward and back which is my issue.

chally71e

Reaction score
Hmm you considered shutting that hood a gazillion times? Letting it wear in?

JKCuda

Reaction score
Hmm you considered shutting that hood a gazillion times? Letting it wear in?
No but I may try to wear it in a little with a dremel lol. I’ll take a look at the old latch and compare. The original striker was obviously worn so I might try to take a little material off the new latch to try to get it to snap shut.

Back