• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Howards cam for my 340 LA issues

Tim Lynch

Reaction score
I am installing a Howards roller cam on my 1970 340 . Howards tech support is not very helpful at all. Question , the roller lifters what direction does the V bar face ? Towards the block or cam. It appears that they need to be installed facing the block but the rivet hits the block so you cant get the proper angle to insert in lifter bores . The lifters have a tapper on them for push rod clearance that would work with the lifters installed facing the block. The lifters will go in with V bar facing the cam but that does not leave any push rod clearance. So I need so help on what it takes to install so roller lifters will work with no clearance issues. Thanks Tim

Steve340

Reaction score
The bar goes to the block side and will need clearance ground in with a die grinder.
Grind the engine block not the lifters.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
In my experience the link bars are facing up towards the intake not the block . It seems neither works for you so it is poorly designed for the application , the lifter should not interfere with either the block or pushrods

Steve340

Reaction score
If you are fitting retro fit roller lifters they definitely go with the bar towards the block. The link bar is V shaped to clear projections on the block.
With the lifter angle and the lifter being so tall you will foul all your pushrods if you install the tie bar the other way around.

Tim Lynch

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your help ! It looks like several companies offer direct no block grinding roller lifters .It is sad that Howard’s cams tech line did not know this about their products .Have a great week !!

Tim Lynch

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your help ! It looks like several companies offer direct no block grinding roller lifters .It is sad that Howard’s cams tech line did not know this about their products .Have a great week !!
The small print , the Howard’s retro roller lifters will work ,drop in with factory steel heads only v bar towards the block .Trickflow heads are a different story .Simple pull the heads install lifters and no issues as long as you know that !! It would be nice if Howard’s tech people would have that information!! I ordered a set from Summit but no V bar so would not work at all . Runs great now hoping to run a high 11 in the quarter.later

Back