• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

ididit tilt steering for '70 Cuda

Green Bastard

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have a 70 Cuda that has what appears to be an original or possibly a new aftermarket wiring harness. The ididit kit adaptors have nowhere near the correct plug ins. I was wondering if anyone here has experienced this?
Pictured is my old column with the wiring and the ididit wiring adaptors. The techs at ididit say this is the correct harness but obviously this won't work. Basically my column the black plug has 8 connectors of which 7 are used and the white connector which I am pretty sure are the blinkers.
Thanks for the add to your forum.
IMG_0516.jpg

70chall440

Reaction score
It looks like someone went into the column and probably fixed some bad wiring using what looks like a Packard 56 type connector which is not uncommon.

You have some options here;

1. reconfigure the wiring back to the stock molex connector (have to find that male connector)
2. reconfigure the wiring to GM connector (which your new column is wired for)
3. use connectors of your choosing and reconfigure the wiring
4. direct wire it

Personally I would go with #3 and use Anderson connectors, makes for a very clean install

Green Bastard

Reaction score
It looks like someone went into the column and probably fixed some bad wiring using what looks like a Packard 56 type connector which is not uncommon.

You have some options here;

1. reconfigure the wiring back to the stock molex connector (have to find that male connector)
2. reconfigure the wiring to GM connector (which your new column is wired for)
3. use connectors of your choosing and reconfigure the wiring
4. direct wire it

Personally I would go with #3 and use Anderson connectors, makes for a very clean install
Do you have any recommendations on which Anderson connectors to use?

70chall440

Reaction score
Do you have any recommendations on which Anderson connectors to use?
Yes, you can use these. They list them as 14/30/45a but the housings are all the same size, they slide together to make a nifty one-piece connector and are very clean. They are pretty easy to assemble, you can crimp, solder or crimp and solder the connector, then you slide the connector into the housing (look up assembling Anderson connectors on YouTube, quite a few videos). As you can see on the link they make them in a variety of colors if you want to go that way or do them all in a solid color if you prefer.

Anderson Power Products 1327 series PP15/30/45 Powerpole Connector Colored Housings

I just put some of these together for my engine run stand and really like the way they go together and work. They are not real weather resistant so I might not use them for anything outside of the passenger compartment but I would use them for anything inside for sure.

Green Bastard

Reaction score
Yes, you can use these. They list them as 14/30/45a but the housings are all the same size, they slide together to make a nifty one-piece connector and are very clean. They are pretty easy to assemble, you can crimp, solder or crimp and solder the connector, then you slide the connector into the housing (look up assembling Anderson connectors on YouTube, quite a few videos). As you can see on the link they make them in a variety of colors if you want to go that way or do them all in a solid color if you prefer.

Anderson Power Products 1327 series PP15/30/45 Powerpole Connector Colored Housings

I just put some of these together for my engine run stand and really like the way they go together and work. They are not real weather resistant so I might not use them for anything outside of the passenger compartment but I would use them for anything inside for sure.
Great thank you. I will get some and then figure out what wires go where. I think my best bet is to take apart old column and find out which wires go where and then adapt them to the new harness.

70chall440

Reaction score
Great thank you. I will get some and then figure out what wires go where. I think my best bet is to take apart old column and find out which wires go where and then adapt them to the new harness.
Do you have a FSM? I highly recommend down loading one from mymopar.com, but I would also test the wires coming out of the column to determine what is what, you don't have to take it apart, just test the wires with a continuity tester.

Green Bastard

Reaction score
Do you have a FSM? I highly recommend down loading one from mymopar.com, but I would also test the wires coming out of the column to determine what is what, you don't have to take it apart, just test the wires with a continuity tester.
Yes, I have one and will start testing tomorrow when I get a spare moment. Thanks again

Back