• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

k member and steering box??? on 73 cuda

prairiedoghunter

Reaction score
I was wondering what the differnce is (if any) between a big block and a small block k member? Everyone i've talked to says there is something differnt, but they can't tell me what

I have a 73 cuda that origionally had a 318 in it, I am looking into puting a 440 in it.

the car has a power steering box, however i was thinking about putting a manual steering box in it, any thoughts?

burdar

Reaction score
The K-members are the same. You'll just need big block engine mounts. The Hemi K-members had a skid plate welded to the bottom that others didn't have.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the big block K had the skid plate as well which is the only difference , it just protected the deeper 6 qt oil pan , the 440 is a bolt in as stated above .
manual steering will also bolt on , you need a longer steering column as the steering box is about 2.5" shorter

prairiedoghunter

Reaction score
now i was looking at the steering column a little bit, and got to thinking about when i changed the steering column in my 72 dodge charger.

in my charger the new column was too short. So after disasembling the column i found you could slide the shaft out longer. The shaft looks idintical to my charger's, so i was thinking it might slide also????

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
it can , the problem is there are nylon plugs through the shaft so it will collapse on impact , not nessisarily the best idea to break them though + how long is the shaft , you need to have enough engagement , having the steering fail while exciting may not be preferable . Personally I would look around for the correct longer shaft

jvcuda

Reaction score
the car has a power steering box, however i was thinking about putting a manual steering box in it, any thoughts?

Unless you are building an all out race car,I would keep the power steering.I kept it in my '73 cuda with a 440,makes it much nicer on the rare times I do drive it on the street.Just my .02 worth.

john

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I go the opposite way , I far prefer the manual steering except for parking , way more road feel without the possiblity of over reacting

ram250098

Reaction score
Not to take over the thread but will any Mopar power steering box work in a 73 Cuda or does it need to be for that year, it is a big block car.
Thanks
AL

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Good question , the steeringbox will fit , the column will connect no prob but the pitman arm is a different listing for 73-74 , as long as the box has an arm on it & it fits into the center link from above or below the same as the idler arm you are good to go

Back