• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Kick down lever assembly

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Is the kick down lever assembly the same for a 727 and a 904? I just got a bell crank stud and it came up about a 1/4" short at the end where the cotter pin goes through.

moparleo

Reaction score
Short answer...maybe. The 727 has a straight kick down lever on the trans and the 904 should have a bent lever to compensate for the difference. What engine/trans combo is the 904/727 conversion ?

Last edited:

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Short answer...maybe. The 727 has a straight kick down lever on the trans and the 904 should have a bent lever to compensate for the difference. What engine/trans combo is the 904/727 conversion ?
340, stock carb on an aluminum intake, 904 trans. The linkage seems to line up nicely, but the stud is too short - see photo. I wonder if the width/gap on this linkage at the bell crank is wider for one versus the other. And I do not know which one I have as the car was puchased without engine or trans. The previous owner had a bunch of parts he had acquired, and I assume (ha, ha) they all go to this car. Now that being said, this car originally came with a 727, so this may be the incorrect linkage.

Attachments

• Kick Down.jpg
    Kick Down.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 132

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
That was going to be my question. why does a 340 have a 904 behind it.
904 weights about 20 lbs less and takes about 20hp less to turn it. And this 904 case was able to fit the extra clutch pack in it. So, since I do not plan to launch the car really hard, the 904 should last just fine as my drag racing days are over. But, I still have the 727 driveshaft just in case I'm wrong.

moparleo

Reaction score
That stuff might make a very slight difference in a race car where sometimes just a little is enough, but that said I have never hurt a 727 in 50 years of driving, but I have with 904's that I had built and left it behind a 318 to 340 swap on a 72 Challenger. 2X . keep the 727. Chrysler made the small case 727 for a reason.
A little puzzled on your part. What year is your car ? I know at least the 72 and up don't use that part. The car came with the linkage shown on the diagram that I posted. Just a 1 piece rod from the top of the manifold all the way down to the Kick down lever on the trans.
Look at pages 5 and 6 of the following link.

Attachments

• TORQUE-FLITE-LINKAGE-ADJUSTMENT.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 148
Back