• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

LED Dashboard lighting 73 Challenger

Steve340

Reaction score
No resistors are required - just put the ones that fit correctly in the bulb holders and done.
They do need quite a small "head" part.

Matt Johnson

Reaction score
I put the Ba9s bulbs in the rallye bar I just fixed up for dads and they look really good... made some lenses to replace a bad one and this is what they look like lit up

Attachments

• Resized_20220419_220535.jpeg
    Resized_20220419_220535.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 106

57fury440

Reaction score
I put them in a non-rallye dash. They work great and no modifications were needed. The dimmer switch still works as it should.

Reaction score
I put the Ba9s bulbs in the rallye bar I just fixed up for dads and they look really good... made some lenses to replace a bad one and this is what they look like lit up
Thanks very much for this. Been using "superbrightleds" for house and landscape lighting with great success. Then I saw they have bulbs for my Challenger. Kudos for being good to your dad too!

heminut

Reaction score
Thanks very much! Question. Are they bright enuff - both day (turn signals) and at night (dash panel)? Any issues with your existing dash dimmer switch? Hope to never crawl under the dash again :)....
Oh yeah, they're plenty bright enough. I have them in the light bar, turn signal indicators and warning lights and they are working really good.

moparroy

Reaction score
I used them where I could on the whole dash - they do work well and can be dimmable to a degree though the range of dimming is less (they tend to shut off at a minimum voltage). I found two issues that affected a couple places I could not use them. The illumination on the switch panel (only with light package I think - on a timer with a lamp illuminating the key) and the lamp in the ash tray both are mounted in a metal tube. In '74 most of these are 161 / 194 type glass base bulbs - any LEDs I could find were open type with no insulating dome over the LEDs - had an issue with those shorting out on the tube - blew fuses on my test power pack. The BA9s link above likewise looks an open uninsulated bulb - be careful in metal tube mounts. Also some LEDs - esp the small ones - are polarity sensitive - the glove box lamp is reverse polarity (-ve on the centre and +ve on the outside) so that one would not work. The Map light is also reverse polarity - but you can get non-polarity 1156 bulbs to fit. Non-polarity bulbs include a circuit to allow either polarity of connection - LEDs as diodes are polarity sensitive by nature.

Back