• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

mini starter help !!

Big J

Reaction score
I have a 1970 383 auto Challenger. My starter went out.I have a mini starter in it now. Need to replace it. I can not seem to get it out. I have hooker headers and it hits the steering box Any ideas to get it out would be helpful.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
If your headers have the slip joint tubes, you may need to remove the ones in the way. I found out even with a small block, the driver side is crammed with components and it is necessary to remove items for clearance, and the proper sequence is a "learned" task. Wish I could be more helpful, but spend time looking at it trying to figure it out. Hopefully someone with a big block can offer better insight. Good luck.

Poolshark314

Reaction score
Which part are you having a problem with? Clearance for getting the bolts out or you physically can't get the starter out with the bolts removed?

Big J

Reaction score
Im having trouble with getting the starter out .Bolts are off the headers the 2 bolts are out of the starter, No room to get starter out. header hits steering box.

Big J

Reaction score
If your headers have the slip joint tubes, you may need to remove the ones in the way. I found out even with a small block, the driver side is crammed with components and it is necessary to remove items for clearance, and the proper sequence is a "learned" task. Wish I could be more helpful, but spend time looking at it trying to figure it out. Hopefully someone with a big block can offer better insight. Good luck.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Okay, I just installed my mini high torque starter. I do not have my steering column installed yet, and it slipped right in from the top. That may be your last resort.

Bobby Sixkiller

Reaction score
Pull the motor mounts loose and pick the engine up a couple inches. It will help

Back