• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Modern headlights and tail light bulbs for my 1974 Challenger

rrbbkk

Reaction score
Forgive if this has been covered before (I couldn't find it in search) but does anybody use modern LED(?) headlights and tail light bulbs in their classic Mopar? Are they as simple to install as just replacing the current head lights and tail lamps using the original wiring and sockets? Or is more involved? Upgrading the electrical system for example? Please, tell me all you can no matter how trivial. Thank you!

Steve340

Reaction score
There was a post on FBBO about Octane 6K LED headlights.
The poster was pretty happy with them and had a link to the Octane website.
I took a look and thought they looked good and a reasonable price.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
There are LED bubs available that will fit the existing sockets , be warned LED only work in one direction , if the bulb is made correctly it will work fine , you may need a different flasher unit as LED create far less load . I like them , the light faster are brighter & run cooler .
There are a lot of option for headlights , you can use Bosch or Cibie reflectors & install H4 bulb or there are purpose built lights , Holley offers some but they are expensive .

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Hella H4 lamp housings fit 70 & 72-74 E-Bodies with two-headlamp systems and use H4 9003 LEDs. I am sure Hella makes housings for four-headlamp systems on the Challengers and 71 Barracudas, too.

The housing has a rubber boot on the back and it will need to be trimmed for the bulbs to fit properly. Ceramic headlight wiring harness extension sockets are plug-and-play and will handle the heat produced by the LED bulbs. You may want to choose a warmer color temperature to get a more original look but I went with the 6500K bulbs which are bright white.
The other lamps are in the last picture. Consider whether you want to install white LED bulbs in the housing even for the amber/red/green fixtures as some prefer to let the lense determine the color versus blending a color LED with a color lense. The LEDs are inexpensive enough to buy and try to tell what you like and you will have a lot of extras if you have Mopar buddies who want to get what you have leftover.

Hella H4 Label.jpg
Hella H4 Housing.JPG
H4 Headlights (2).JPG
H4 9003 LED Headlight Bulbs 12000lm 6500K Xenon High and Low Beam.jpg

BWBX7882.JPG
Ceramic Headlight Wiring Harness Sockets.jpg

HELLA Headlight Housings plus all LED conversion bulbs.jpg

Sinitro

Reaction score
Check out the Holley retro-bright LEDs, pricey but they work very well and no cutting of the mounting buckets.
I installed these in my 70 RR, and fabricated Y connectors so I have (4) low or (4) high.....

Just my $0.02...
Holley_LEDs.jpg

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
You will need a flasher that uses a ground for your hazzard/signel lights to work. Either use a flasher that has a ground pigtail or get a 3 prong flasher and install the ground wire to one of the prongs (easy to figure out which one is for the ground). I believe you need 2 flasher's

Back