• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need Nomenclature Name for 71 Challenger part

Doc Corey

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me the correct name (and part number if possible) for the metal panel that runs from front fender to fender and attaches to the front of the radiator support directly in front of the hood latch? Also any other small part used to attach it to the car. Note: I'm using a 1970 grill in my 71. Thanks

terrywalker

Reaction score
You're talking about the long blue grille support in my photo, correct? I've only heard it called the upper grille support.
Terry W.

Attachments

• Upper Grille Support and Yoke Latch Plate.jpg
    Upper Grille Support and Yoke Latch Plate.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 132

NoCar340

Reaction score
The factory parts manual simply refers to it as the "radiator cross bar" (Group 7-33-1) but I like Terry's description much better. "Upper grille panel" might be another useful search term.

Doc Corey

Reaction score
Yeah, looks like a B36 wing. Just now putting my front end together for the paint shop. Sigh, another thing to source and buy and ship...Thanks for the info, guys.

Rapidfire

Reaction score
The 70 doesn't have a radiator cross bar. It is part of the grill. Not sure how the 70 grill and the 71 cross bar would fit together? Might be possible. Any reason why you don't just use a 71 grill?

NoCar340

Reaction score
That support is '71 only, as far as I can determine. If you're using a '70 grille you'll want to use any other parts for the '70 setup, i.e. the parts book shows both the hooe latch and safety catch as being different between '70 & '71. With the complete '70 setup, there should be no reason for the support.

Doc Corey

Reaction score
That support is '71 only, as far as I can determine. If you're using a '70 grille you'll want to use any other parts for the '70 setup, i.e. the parts book shows both the hooe latch and safety catch as being different between '70 & '71. With the complete '70 setup, there should be no reason for the support.
So, the 1970 grill bolts directly to the radiator support?

NoCar340

Reaction score
I believe it just bolts to the hood latch support and the fenders.

70grile.jpg

Doc Corey

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for this picture. Shows me exactly what I need to see, and that car is nails! Is that yours?

NoCar340

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for this picture. Shows me exactly what I need to see, and that car is nails! Is that yours?

I wish! It was just something I found looking for a good illustration of the '70 arrangment.

PlumCrazyCuda

Reaction score
There are 2 little brackets that bolt the top of the grille to the latch tray. The ones in the picture are painted orange, but I think they should be black.

Back