• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New guy pulling an engine

R/T 71

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new to Mopars (71 Challenger, 340 4-speed), but have pulled dozens of engines in Chevys and Fords. And never in those efforts have I ever had to contend with a manual transmission. I have this pretty much figured out except for the z-bar/clutch linkage. Question is - what is the easiest way to separate that linkage in order to yank the engine. I plan on taking it out the top since I have the cherry picker and tilter. Thanks for helping out the old new guy.

Rich G.

Reaction score
There should be a nut on the pivot ball on the frame rail bracket that holds the pivot ball in the Z bar. Loosen it up and pivot the Z bar up and slide it out of the other end.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Well just FYI , if you drop the column , disconnect wiring & linkage , split the ball joints , hang the calipers , undo the 4 K frame bolts & 4 trans cross member bolts you can have everything out in approx 1/2 the time taking everything out the bottom , I used 3 snowmobile roller pads to roll everything out with the body lifted , if you put jack stands under the front leaf spring eyes , the rear weight of the car counterbalances the front & you can easily lift it with your legs at the front .

R/T 71

Reaction score
I strongly considered doing it the "under" route, but thought better of it because I do need it to be a roller for a while. The underside needs a lot of cleanup, and doing that outside is imperative. Thanks for the tip on placing the jack stands. When I do drop the K frame, that will come in very handy.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
not hard to build a couple of rollers out of angle iron that will bolt to the bumper mounts or K frame locations to roll it around on

budascuda

Reaction score
The "under" method is the way to go!
The k frame/engine+tranny were installed that way in the factory and this allows you to dis assemble and then hook everything up without straining, damaging or bending the components, makes for a more civilized re&re. Every time I see an engine dangling over the enginebay, half tilted, cockeyed, and bouncing around (and without a blanket to protect any thing) , I get the heebie jeebies.

Back