• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

No power at ignition

nakabrd

Reaction score
I have a 70 Challenger RT 440 with points ignition. Recently restored and has all new wire harnesses except in the steering column. While driving, it suddenly stopped. I had nothing at the ignition. Waited a few minutes and it fired up but died again seconds later. This happened 5-6 times. Now I have nothing when I turn the key. Lights, buzzers gauges all work with key on. Checked voltage and there is nothing at the ballast resister, coil or fuses. I can jump the relay and it will turn over but won't start. Can I get some suggestions. Thanks

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
Can I get some suggestions. Thanks

Yeah, you have NO POWER at the ignition.

Seriously though, that means an open either in the bulkhead connector or the Ignition switch itself most likely. Get your FSM out and trace out the power circuit, it isn't that hard to do but no one seems to want to do it themselves. :eek:

nakabrd

Reaction score
Thanks M&M. I'd be glad to give it a try but what's an FSM? some kind of test meter?

nakabrd

Reaction score
Found the problems. I traced voltage and found the main hot at the plug under the dash to the ignition had lost contact. After making good contact, it still wasn't getting power thru the ballast resistor, it was bad, changed it. Still wouldn't crank. Replaced the starter relay. It fired right up. Thanks for the help and ideas.

Back