• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Old style California License plates

Adam

Reaction score
On the dmv.ca.gov website

California to offer 'legacy license plates'

The California Department of Motor Vehicles is planning to issue nostalgia-stoking replicas of the yellow, blue and black plates that graced the state's bumpers from the 1950s to the 1970s. But will classic car collectors buy into the impostors? Starting Tuesday, the DMV will take orders for the so-called legacy license plates. If the department gets at least 7,500 orders, it will print them, said spokeswoman Jessica Gonzalez. But if that threshold isn't met by Jan. 1, 2015, officials will refund the $50 application fee.

I dont know how long the wait period is for these, but they look just like the originals... I tried to upload the application but it exceeds the size allowed by this website.

lp_3.jpg

cudacharger

Reaction score
There very cool for sure here's a original black plate one on my 71 Triple Black hemicuda.

HEMITX9CUDA024.jpg

Adam

Reaction score
Old thread, but someone might find it useful. My dad had a 65 Mustang with Ca black plates RQA 115. A friend of mine has a 69 Camaro black plate starts with a Z. The first letters should correspond to a year. in 1970 the DMV went to blue plates after the black ones were used up. My 70 Cuda had blue Ca. plates BLB...even though the car was built in late 69. 1970 used A&B blue, 1971 should be blue C,D,E, unless it was built in early 70, then maybe a B... My 71 Challenger has blue DGF... Anything is possible with the DMV but if your plate is IOL that corresponds to 1963... Interesting story if you have the documentation.

From the Ca DMV: History of the California License Plate

Basic information on 1963- present plates:

1963 was the last year a complete new plate issuance to all vehicles occured (the plates had a black background and chrome yellow characters).
1970 is the year the basic plate was changed to a blue background with yellow characters. It was also the last year any black/yellow plates were issued.

From the internet: The letter sequence is as follows:

1963-AAA-RDA

1964-RDB-SDP

1965-SDQ-TEC

1966-TED-UGD

1967-UGE-WEC

1968-WED-YCE

1969 YCF-ZZZ

Back