• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Old TV shows

ramenth

Reaction score
I've been streaming Emergency! on Netflix lately. It's kinda fun to sit and watch the old cars which were fairly new back in the day. In one episode they pass a '69 Daytona sitting on the street. Looks a little worse for the wear, too, with a dent in the quarter panel. This was someone's daily driver and, hey, s*** happens.

Of course, there's the truck.

SQ51.jpg

Now I've borrowed the first season of Adam-12 on DVD from my brother. Every time I watch that show I sit there and drool over all that clean Belvedere sheetmetal that could go to restore my '69 Sport Satellite 4-door! :icon_biggrin:

SQ51.jpg

burntorange70

Reaction score
What year is that truck? Brings back memories of my dads old yellow 76 he had. When he first got it it had a construction utility box bed on it. Then when we opend the feed store he took the 318 out for a warmed up 360 and made a flat bed. We hauled hay with it the first 6 years or so. I miss that old yellow truck.

ramenth

Reaction score
What year is that truck? Brings back memories of my dads old yellow 76 he had. When he first got it it had a construction utility box bed on it. Then when we opend the feed store he took the 318 out for a warmed up 360 and made a flat bed. We hauled hay with it the first 6 years or so. I miss that old yellow truck.

I believe this particular truck is the '74 which was used for the show. They used a few, according to some of the official websites. One of the others is a '72, and I'm not sure about the last one. The websites could be talking about the '69 or '70 which was used in the movie to kick off the series.

What's kinda cool is the '74 now sits the County of Los Angeles Fire Museum. Universal donated it after they series was finished. From the CLAFM website:

The center piece of our collection is Squad 51. Donated to our museum by Universal at the conclusion of filming “Emergency! “ the Squad was transferred to the County of Los Angeles Fire Department because back then our museum had no money or facility. In 1999 title was once again transferred to the Museum at the time we were restoring it. Since then Squad 51 has made appearances all over Southern California as well as Lake Tahoe, Las Vegas, Chicago, Long Island, Baltimore, Hyattsville and Washington DC. Squad 51 is an icon and we are very proud to have it in our collection. Future plans call for us to completely re-equip the Squad with all the correct period equipment used during the filming of “Emergency!”.

The first Engine 51 (the open cab one) is also at the museum and is fully the operational. The second Engine 51, the Ward LaFrance one, served for years at Yellowstone and is now at the museum undergoing restoration.

http://lacountyfiremuseum.com/Engine51ReadyToRestore.html

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
Great show ramenth, I like watching old episodes of Adam12, and Batman!

Being a comic book collector all through the '80s I still have a hard time with the '60s "camp" on the TV show.

batmobile2.jpg

Sure, the old Lincolns are POS's, but how cool was that car?

batmobile2.jpg

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
I just was watching Adam 12 the "bad guy" was driving a Gold 67 Chevelle SS. I get a ton of old shows on RTV retro television network with my cable service. Whats even better about the shows is how they describe them. Here is my favorite example of a description for Airwolf. "The better of two 1984 helicopter shows." Why don`t they just say this show only sucked half as bad as the other helicopter show! Anyone know what the other helicopter show was in 1984? Must have been a real dud!

The 70`s afro smilie goes well in this thread! :icon_rr:

ramenth

Reaction score
I just was watching Adam 12 the "bad guy" was driving a Gold 67 Chevelle SS. I get a ton of old shows on RTV retro television network with my cable service. Whats even better about the shows is how they describe them. Here is my favorite example of a description for Airwolf. "The better of two 1984 helicopter shows." Why don`t they just say this show only sucked half as bad as the other helicopter show! Anyone know what the other helicopter show was in 1984? Must have been a real dud!

The 70`s afro smilie goes well in this thread! :icon_rr:

Which brings up another topic on old shows. How many of us loved a particular show as kids only to see it as an adult and think that it's not as good as you remember? You mention Airwolf. I've started streaming that, too, only to find out that what I loved as a kid is now pretty much WTF as an adult.

The Dukes of Hazzard comes to mind, too. Loved that show as a kid now I think the smartest character on the show is the General Lee and it can't even talk. Maybe it's because it can't talk is the reason it's the smartest one.

As for the "other" helicopter show on the air in 1984, it was Blue Thunder, a spin-off of the movie. And, yeah, it sucked. Even back then.

Back