• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Original color for trans and bell?

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
71 rt 340 4 speed. The bell was orange and tranny Im not sure about color original. I am cleaning the car up and back to original and wanna stay close to original as possible. Maybe not even painted but sure would like to know if the bell and trans were painted or not and what colors they would have been.
Thx

moparlee

Reaction score
The bell was installed on the engine when the engine was painted (orange) so the bell housing had over spray on it. Most guys just go ahead and completely paint it. If you have a late build '71 340 with electronic ignition the engine would have been painted blue.
The A833 4 spd was not painted, it was left bare cast iron. But most times it is painted with cast color paint to protect it from rusting.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Simple enough. Thanks! I guess the bell is going orange and tranny is getting satin black. It doesn't sound that it matters much but just some over spray would be kinda outdated these days. Its got headers and the ld340 intake with the new mopar steel valve covers so not everything is totally stock anymore. I thought about going back to oem stuff but I'll let someone else do that if I ever sell it. Probably collect some dated stuff just to have it as its getting hard to find oem parts anymore. Thanks for the knowledge tho. It helps when you gotta decide what mods you make.

Back