• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Overspray on TA HOOD

VillaTA

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations on what may be an option to take fine overspray off of my hood? This hood is smoother than original texture. Just not sure what would work and not damage the organosol finish.

Rapidfire

Reaction score
I have used this in the past to take overspray off plastic gauge lens and had good results. just put some on acotton cloth and wipe on sparingly. You can always test on something else to see if it works for you. I'm sure other members here will have an idea or two as well.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    615.8 KB · Views: 60

KVB

Reaction score
I would try a clay bar before I tried any type of chemical.....worst case, have a decent shop scuff it and re-clear (flat or satin clear of course).

hofilbert

Reaction score
Nowadays, most paints are water-based, and many mild solvents will remove the paint. But gasoline will even attack the organosol. I always start with the least aggressive chemical I can find. Something like de-natured alcohol. If nothing happens, then try naphtha. Then, if nothing happens, I use a VERY SLOW paint thinner. Your paint shop will know what it is. It has a lot of oils and less thinner base. You can actually have about 10 seconds of work time before it attacks things like ABS plastic. Normal paint thinners will attack ABS plastic instantly - Don't use them. Try each one, checking to see if any of the black organosol is coming off onto your wiping rag.

Bug Guy

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations on what may be an option to take fine overspray off of my hood? This hood is smoother than original texture. Just not sure what would work and not damage the organosol finish.
You said overspray but you did not say what kind of overspray paint under coating what did you spray that you got overspray is it a different color than the hood or is it something that you could just feel if you’re hurt is freshly painted you’re gonna have to wait to try any other chemical like they said sometimes other chemicals will attack your paint like someone said Claybar first and see what happens You might have to repaint?

Bug Guy

Reaction score
You said overspray but you did not say what kind of overspray paint under coating what did you spray that you got overspray is it a different color than the hood or is it something that you could just feel if you’re hurt is freshly painted you’re gonna have to wait to try any other chemical like they said sometimes other chemicals will attack your paint like someone said Claybar first and see what happens You might have to repaint?
Sorry I should have proof read that I didn’t mean (hurt) but rubbing your hand over it

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Not hearing back from you. there are quite a few members here that are knowledgeable. I wouldn't be surprised that there's a chemist floating around here. There is a myriad of products that may work. You didn't explain what the over spray is. basically like de solves like. protein de solves,oil de solves oil and so on. I could give number of house hold chemicals that are very effective. Not knowing or you don't know.I would try steam.it is very effective.

Last edited:

ctaarman

Reaction score
The classic cleaner I have used for my organosol is windex. When things are bad, you follow with pledge.( No it doesn't create shine in the organosol.) I even used this successfully to clean a streak of type 4 brake fluid that had dripped on my hood.

However, the challenge with overspray is highly dependent on the chemical make up of the overspray. If it has bonded to the o.g. then the only solution may be a solvent cleaning followed by a light respray of new o.g. over the original (but make sure what you have on the hood truly is o.g. and not just some flat black acrylic.).

VillaTA

Reaction score
Sorry folks, I was out of town. The overspray appears to be hemi orange, which is the body color. It was on the quarter windows too. My hood is not o.g., or at least not the original. It has been bodyworked and is more of a satin black. I'd love to re do the hood and my buddy has been a body man for 25 years. He said he'd help. Just curious if there is a good, non-rattle can organisol option.

ctaarman

Reaction score
I've never seen it in rattle can and the last time I bought it 4 years ago I paid $250 for a quart of NOS. It gives a distinctive look that I've never seen duplicated by a modern finish. Closest you can come is putting fine sand or similar into an almost flat black. Hard to apply.

In you case, I suggrst you go rattle can flat black. Good cheap generic I use is a no name from Lowes. Still about $2 a can and works great.

hofilbert

Reaction score
Years back, before the EPA/DNR made general public paint reformulation mandatory into the water-based crap they have now, Krylon had a great semi-flat black aerosol can paint. Matched organosol perfectly. Since it became discontinued, Krylon has sneakily made the same product but under a different name, w/different part no. and now 4-times the price. You have to look under "INDUSTRIAL" now. I found this part no., which I believe is the correct new number. Krylon K01613A07

Back