• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

PCV Grommet & Valve for Mopar Performance Valve Covers (1 inch hole)

SDChallenger

Reaction score
I am have a 72 Challenger Rallye, 340 stroker, w/ Mopar Performance valve covers (1" pcv hole w/ 1/2" wall depth). Whoever did the build used a 0.55" ID x 1" OD (hole size) grommet made for steel covers and siliconed it into place. The PVC valve has a 1/2" stem, and so the whole setup is sloppy. I have searched high & wide for the correct grommet, and everything for MP covers seems to be for 1.22" hole size. Questions:
1. Does anyone make a grommet for these valve covers (1" hole; 1/2" groove; 1/2" ID)? I think not, but never hurts to ask.
2. If "no" to 1., does anyone else have these covers w/ 'uniquely' sized PCV hole, if so, how did you address the PCV grommet issue?
3. I am guessing the current PCV valve is for the stock 340; the only marking is "2103" on the part. My build is a cast stroker kit, modest cam, 6-pack. No hot rodding.....I had to replace the cam and crank anyway, so figured why not kick it up a notch? Better to just stick w/ the stock PCV valve, since the engine seems to run well as is?

As you can probably tell from my post, I am not NEARLY as wise when it comes to this stuff as many of you. Hopefully someone has addressed these issues already, and can point me in the right direction.

Much appreciated.

Challenger - Arrival in Colorado.jpg

fasjac

Reaction score
You may take a look at Dormen. The local parts store should be able to get an assortment of sizes. Also, you could check out M E Wagner adjustable PCV’s. That’s a whole different topic though.

SFCREMR22

Reaction score
SD, I also have the MP valve covers and had the PCV valve concern. Mancini Racing offers different kits available. They specify a MP kit and a kit of their own for the MP valve covers. I believe I bought the Mancini kit and it worked fine and I even have extra parts fir future use.

SDChallenger

Reaction score
SD, I also have the MP valve covers and had the PCV valve concern. Mancini Racing offers different kits available. They specify a MP kit and a kit of their own for the MP valve covers. I believe I bought the Mancini kit and it worked fine and I even have extra parts fir future use.
Thanks for the quick response. I did check out Mancini Racing, and I could only find grommets/kits for what I believe to be the newer MP aluminum valve covers, with a 1.22" hole diameter. This is the "now infamous" P524 9642 grommet set, and I can confirm (I have a set sitting on my shelf :)) they will not fit my 1" PCV hole valve covers. The other MP grommet kit they sell is for the stamped steel covers.

Appreciate the input.

Sinitro

Reaction score
I am have a 72 Challenger Rallye, 340 stroker, w/ Mopar Performance valve covers (1" pcv hole w/ 1/2" wall depth). Whoever did the build used a 0.55" ID x 1" OD (hole size) grommet made for steel covers and siliconed it into place. The PVC valve has a 1/2" stem, and so the whole setup is sloppy. I have searched high & wide for the correct grommet, and everything for MP covers seems to be for 1.22" hole size. Questions:
1. Does anyone make a grommet for these valve covers (1" hole; 1/2" groove; 1/2" ID)? I think not, but never hurts to ask.
2. If "no" to 1., does anyone else have these covers w/ 'uniquely' sized PCV hole, if so, how did you address the PCV grommet issue?
3. I am guessing the current PCV valve is for the stock 340; the only marking is "2103" on the part. My build is a cast stroker kit, modest cam, 6-pack. No hot rodding.....I had to replace the cam and crank anyway, so figured why not kick it up a notch? Better to just stick w/ the stock PCV valve, since the engine seems to run well as is?

As you can probably tell from my post, I am not NEARLY as wise when it comes to this stuff as many of you. Hopefully someone has addressed these issues already, and can point me in the right direction.

Much appreciated.

View attachment 82553
Check out a Dorman #42056. For 1" hole, inside hole 0.42".. Also available from Summit..

Just my $0.02... ;)

rnb-42056_s.jpg
rnb-42056_yt_s.jpg

moparroy

Reaction score
Sorry to bring back an old thread - but this is exactly the issue I am having.
SDChallenger did you find a solution? That Dorman number is only 1/2 " deep overall from their specs.
I am contemplating buying that now infamous grommet set and seeing if I can modify the old valve covers to fit.

SDChallenger

Reaction score
Sorry to bring back an old thread - but this is exactly the issue I am having.
SDChallenger did you find a solution? That Dorman number is only 1/2 " deep overall from their specs.
I am contemplating buying that now infamous grommet set and seeing if I can modify the old valve covers to fit.
Sorry to say but I did not find a good solution. I ended up using the grommet that came with the valve covers when I bought the car almost 10 years ago, and buying some Permatex Clear Adhesive Sealant-Silicone RTV 80050 to insure no vacuum leak around the outside of the grommet. I just did so a few days ago, and now have to insure the PCV valve I have will seal when in the grommet. My only other alternatives I could see were to either take the cover to a machine shop and see if they could modify the hole to fit the Mopar P524 9642grommet most recommended, or buy new valve covers, neither of which I was inclined to do. If my fix doesn't work out, I will probably visit my local machinist as the 2nd best choice. Let me know if you figure out a better solution. I was rather surprised this group of incredibly knowledgeable E-body folks didn't comve up with a better fix...I have to assume whoever originally tapped this valve cover to a slightly off size.

moparroy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Good news is I have a friend with a machine shop so I think I'll try that route if I cannot modify myself

moparroy

Reaction score

73Machine

Reaction score
Thanks but ... What I see there is all 1 1/4" OD. There are 1" and 3/4" inch ID
I need 1" OD and 1/2" ID to fit without modification
Ah my bad, I see that now..... What about this one? It should be a nice tight fit on the PCV since it is just slightly under 1/2''. It's also deep enough to clear the valve covers.

Amazon product ASIN B000C5E4QE

Back