• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Pistol grip shifter removal

Makindust2

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how to remove shift handle from shifter .
There are two pins that knock out? If so driver to pass.or other way around?
Thanks for the help
Skip

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Two types , one is bolts with 2 3/8" cross bolts but I am sure you would have figured that out !
The second type has a steel spring tab that catches in the side of the handle . The best way I have found is to soak it with penetrating fluid or WD40 the remove the rust & crud built up over 40 years !! Then you need a feeler guage approx .010 & wiggle it down beside the shifter usually on the drivers side , you need to go down about 1" - 1.5" & push down a little on the shifter to allow the tab to release , once you have the feeler guage inserted pull up on the shifter while wiggling & rocking it . These can be difficult to remove .

Makindust2

Reaction score
shifter

Thanks for responding thats the answer help me alot

Big Jim

Reaction score
A lot of times it helps to let it soak overnight if you have time- just be careful not to tear up the rubber boot inside the shifter- they are a real ***** to get back in properly and don't think anyone repops them (that I know of)

Makindust2

Reaction score
Ok went out today to try to remove. I do not have the two bolt side I think. Does the other way of install have two pins that are driven into the side? These are what seem to stop the feeler gauge from going in. Unless maybe someone has broken off the two bolt heads?
Let me know.
Thanks Skip

Big Jim

Reaction score
If you have the 2-bolt style shifter, there will be a removeable plate on one side of the shifter handle- if yours wraps all the way around the handle it's a release tab style. When you feel the feeler gauge stop, that's when you need to push the handle down a little bit to allow room for the feeler gauge to slip in between. I have seen shifters with the lock tabs on both sides of the handle. And saying "push it down a little" can be a lot easier said than done. Good Luck!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
if it has clearly visable bolts remove the bolts & plates . Likely it has the slide in type ,there are dimples on the side of the shifter but it is not a drive pin , the lock plate can be on either side of the shifter , the feeler guage will pry the lock tab out of the way but the handle will still be tough to pull out

Back