• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

problem with oil slinger on crank snout of 426 hemi

Hemi T/A

Reaction score
I removed the harmonic balancer on my engine as it was not an SFI balancer and I wanted an SFI one on it . I noticed after pulling the balancer off that when looking in behind the seal lip on the timing chain cover that there is an oil slinger on the crank snout . the slinger appears to have been working back and forth as the keyway slot is twice as wide as the key . I checked the hub on the old non-SFI balancer and also the new Summit SFI balancer and they are the same length and does not appear near long enough to press against the slinger to hold it tight against the lower timing gear .
Is there a spacer that is supposed to go on the crank snout between the balancer hub and the timing gear or am I missing something here ? this engine is a relatively new build , meaning it was built over 6 or 7 years ago but has very few miles on it ( estimate less than a thousand )

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Yes the slinger should be in there but it should pinch tight between the timing gear & balancer , some of the balancer are so tight on the crank it may not have been pressed on far enough .

ignition1

Reaction score
I have a fluid damper on a 426 factory crank and had a heck of a time getting it to seat properly. I broke the balancer installer tool when installing it using too much side force on the tool with one hand, haha. I tried the install 3 times and measured the interference fit and key way dimensions to verify nothing was wrong. Replaced the tool and I used anti seize with two hand and a pry bar on the rear of the crank to keep it from rotating and it was much more effort than expected to get on than from other dampers I have installed. Possibly just my situation, but it got seated to a positive stop.

Back