• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

prothane polyurethane torsion bar dust boot problems

moparmaniac10

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to install a set of these polyurethane dust boots onto their torsion bars? I cannot for the life of me push it over the head of the bar. I have tried lube, heat, and press. None have worked. I actually injured my bicep cause i was pushing them so hard. I am about ready to give up and just go with the regular dust boots, but again, I'll be waiting on shipping. Any ideas will help.

dmk67

Reaction score
I used a heat gun and a pair of needle nose vice grips to open the end and stretch over t-bar. Dont over heat and it will shrink back down to size

Adrian Worman

Reaction score
If the bar is out it should be easy to slide the boot large end first onto the opposite end and then slide it down to near the crossmember socket

cv70chall

Reaction score
re: torsion boots

I was able to get them to fit by leaving them in the sun for about 45 minutes and then greasing up the bars near the frame. If you twist them while slightly bending one side, they are able to slip over and seat properly. If you try them out of the box, you'll kill yourself trying to get them to fit.

Has anyone tried to install a set of these polyurethane dust boots onto their torsion bars? I cannot for the life of me push it over the head of the bar. I have tried lube, heat, and press. None have worked. I actually injured my bicep cause i was pushing them so hard. I am about ready to give up and just go with the regular dust boots, but again, I'll be waiting on shipping. Any ideas will help.

moparmaniac10

Reaction score
I ended up saying screw it and I bought the regular dust boots. they are not worth my time to put on. I'll just sell them.

PST

Reaction score
Put them in boiling water for about 10 mins and plenty of the lube. They are pain in the rear but they will go.

Thanks
James

moparmaniac10

Reaction score
Put them in boiling water for about 10 mins and plenty of the lube. They are pain in the rear but they will go.

Thanks
James

It's funny that I just read this, that is exactly what I did yesterday and it worked great. So now I have a brand new set of regular boots on their way here that I already ordered. Looks like I have my pair for my duster.

challenger440

Reaction score
Ya water is the way. I put mine in a large cup then threw it in the microwave for a couple minutes. Was able to carry it right out to the car in my gloves and slipped them right on by hand.

What a nightmare prior to that tho...was ready to give up just like you moparmaniac!

Back