• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Raed the trivia question..... More trivia

Cojohnso

Reaction score
Having owned 70+ Mopars since 1988, I've only had five Plymouths and two were within the last five years.

1972 Satellite sedan
1972 Road Runner
1985 Gran Fury AHB (former WI State Patrol)
1961 Suburban 9-passenger
1969 Valiant

Of those five only the Valiant survives. Everything else was a Dodge or Chrysler, though not necessarily by choice. For some reason, right time/right place was rarely a Plymouth.
I agree that timing plays a biggest role. If a deal on a classic Dodge presented itself in my travels? Then the "Plymouth only" theme goes out the window. Opportunity does dictate decisions. Even if GM or Ford? If a deal you can't refuse? The real question? How good of a deal would it have to be to jump ship to another manufacturer? I'll throw one out there. '67 Chevelle or GTO? They are both heavily sought. And simular in price. How good the deal would have to be for you to buy? Say driver quality. But needs some work to bring back to show level. (Including some rust, but nothing serious. #3 condition in scale 0-5.) 396 for Chevelle. 400 for GTO. Both 4 speed. Obviously under $10k you have to buy. For me? Have to be under $25k (and yes, $24,999 counts) GM lovers would be all over it at $25k. Your thoughts? (Numbers matching no brainer at $25k. So both has period correct drivable motors. But not numbers matching.)

Last edited:

NoCar340

Reaction score
I'd definitely consider a '66-'67 Goat, since one of the first cars I considered buying at 16 was a '67 LeMans Sport Coupe. I also started out in a Pontiac, a '75 Trans Am 455 (I couldn't find a suitable Mopar at the time) so I have a slight weakness there. There are others I'd consider, but they'd have to be way cheap for me to do so. I'm not paying anywhere near 20K for a GM or Ford unless it's exactly the right car. I just don't want any of 'em badly enough, except maybe a '70-'73 Trans Am... but the friend that almost sold me that '67 LeMans 35 years ago still won't come off the '70 Ram Air IV/M22/3.90 12-bolt Lucerne Blue non-console Trans Am he's had since 1985, and it's never been together. My memory is fuzzy, but the PHS paperwork put it at one of 16 or 18 built--the missing console being the rarest bit.

That being said, I'm not a "numbers" guy. I'd be just fine with a '72 Firebird with all the Trans Am stuff on it and a built 400/4-speed. Looks right? Runs right? Close enough. My friend's '70 Trans Am deserves and needs to be restored to factory condition. I'm actually quite happy that my Challenger is a '74 318/auto because I can build it to my liking and not hurt the value. I've had some "numbers" cars (nothing that ran and drove, mind you) and quite frankly, I don't want the responsibility.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I forgot about Plymouth #6: 1967 Barracuda notchback, a total rustbucket a friend and I bought for $100 on an asking price of $3K. We worked on it one night and my shoes smelled like mouse urine so badly I had to toss 'em. When we went to move it out of the garage with the Bobcat, the car folded at the base of the rear window. I still have the hood, the rest of the car was crushed... and we made money on it. 😆

Cojohnso

Reaction score
I'd definitely consider a '66-'67 Goat, since one of the first cars I considered buying at 16 was a '67 LeMans Sport Coupe. I also started out in a Pontiac, a '75 Trans Am 455 (I couldn't find a suitable Mopar at the time) so I have a slight weakness there. There are others I'd consider, but they'd have to be way cheap for me to do so. I'm not paying anywhere near 20K for a GM or Ford unless it's exactly the right car. I just don't want any of 'em badly enough, except maybe a '70-'73 Trans Am... but the friend that almost sold me that '67 LeMans 35 years ago still won't come off the '70 Ram Air IV/M22/3.90 12-bolt Lucerne Blue non-console Trans Am he's had since 1985, and it's never been together. My memory is fuzzy, but the PHS paperwork put it at one of 16 or 18 built--the missing console being the rarest bit.

That being said, I'm not a "numbers" guy. I'd be just fine with a '72 Firebird with all the Trans Am stuff on it and a built 400/4-speed. Looks right? Runs right? Close enough. My friend's '70 Trans Am deserves and needs to be restored to factory condition. I'm actually quite happy that my Challenger is a '74 318/auto because I can build it to my liking and not hurt the value. I've had some "numbers" cars (nothing that ran and drove, mind you) and quite frankly, I don't want the responsibility.
Yeah. My 2nd car. And car of my high school days was a '66 GTO. Had ALOT of fun with that car. Beat the crap out of that 389 and Muncie M21 4-speed. Until it had enough of my nonsense. I parted that car out in 1983. Who knew that was the wrong decision? But that's what we did? I bought a '69 SS Chevelle with 396 that didn't run for $300. Parted that out for a few hundred in profit. Again, who knew? Lol.

NoCar340

Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, I sold my '75 T/A with cracks in the quarter panels. They were vertical, starting at the rockers, and extended up to almost the mid-body line.
The story? I was driving along and hit one of Michigan's famous potholes, and saw something move out of the corner of my eye. I went around the block, and looked at the back seat as I hit the same pothole. The RH rear seat cushion jumped about 6", and I could see leaf spring and tire for a split second. The spring pocket section of the frame had let go.
There was only one solution, and it involved beer. I called my best friend, told him of my discovery, and that we now had a mission.
With snoots full of Old Style--hey, it was $3.59 for a 12-pack and I was makin' $3.50/hr--we found the nearest logging road. Up this way logging roads are pretty treacherous at 5MPH, so thundering along at 40-45MPH seemed prudent. We made the most of the car's "Radio Tuned Suspension"--meaning we cranked up Lizzy Borden loud enough to drown out the thumps, bangs, and groans coming from the car's chassis. We were giggling like schoolgirls, and somehow managed to both not hit any trees and make it out the back side.
This happened in early May, just after the spring thaw. There was enough mud on the car to cover the damage initially, but a trip to the car wash showed not only the cracks but some interesting wrinkles and a body line that now changed direction. I sold the car the next day for $225 with a smile on my face... and I'm smiling as I write this. I don't care what it's worth now. I hated that car at the time, enjoyed the hell out of letting it know it, and the memories we took away from that night are worth every cent. 😆

Back