• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rally wheels for 73 Dodge Challenger

montanamopar

Reaction score
My Challenger came with American racing wheels on it. My question is were the Original Rally wheels made of chrome or painted that grey color? I've seen both. Some with beauty rings and caps, some without. What were the original made of? Are the after market ones chrome or are people having the Old original ones chromed? Thanks!!!

djais1801

Reaction score
I don't believe they were chromed from the factory. I have an original set of 14's w/ the rallye caps that came on my 73 'cuda. they are driver quality, and I would sell them if you're looking for a set. they have tires on them.

montanamopar

Reaction score
I'm looking for some rally wheels for my car. I just found the build sheet, and I'm in the process of finding out what came with the original car. I like the rally wheels and may go that route no matter what. My car came with 14in American wheels, I have read that people like the 15in better not sure which route to go. are yours just the grey painted steel wheels with the beauty rings ? I see you live on the East coast I live in Montana, I probably will try to find some a little closer to me. Thanks so much for your response, I like your car in the photo you posted, it looks Sweet!

Last edited:

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
If I still had my 70 Challenger, these wheels would be on it, free shipping on some.

https://www.yearone.com/Catalog/wheels/wheels/yearone-wheels/yearone-.-mopar-rallye-wheels

wheels.jpg

wheels.jpg

Last edited:

montanamopar

Reaction score
Thank you for the info! !! Those look nice!! Trying to find the correct wheels off the build sheet, doing a restore!

moparleo

Reaction score
The factory size options were the 14x5.5", 15x6.5" and 15x7" They were Argent silver with Argent silver center caps with chromed edges. The trim rings were not polished, just the machine finish. Center caps mandatory, trim rings optional. Also available was the Road wheel also known as the Magnum wheel. Also available in the 14x5.5" and 15x7" sizes. Chromed centers and caps. Trim rings brushed stainless optional.

Last edited:

72Cuda340

Reaction score
No 15" wheels were an option for e-bodies after 1971
model year... all came with 14's 72-74. So your 73 came with 14's of some sort. I have newly powder coated 14" E-body rallye wheels that are argent silver, with the correct large center caps and new Goodrich Radial TA's already mounted... I went another direction so they're sitting in my garage. Also have a set of small size 71 center caps. Boise ID, a little closer, but not next door :) I really like the way the powder coat turned out, they look totally stock but are better protected than paint, in my opinion. Best wishes with your search.

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
True on the 14's. Not just rallyes. It also could have had wheel covers or the road wheels (magnum 500).

73_Challenger wheels.jpg

73_Challenger wheels.jpg

Last edited:

montanamopar

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. My build code for the wheels is 86. Can't find the information anywhere when decoding my build sheet. I believe Rally wheels were code w21. Still searching for that answer.

montanamopar

Reaction score
I did find on the build sheet that they were definitely 14 in. for 73 Challenger! Do you have any pictures of your wheels you could share? What are you asking for them ? Thanks for your reply!

montanamopar

Reaction score
Thank you found the 86 code :f70x14 white wall tires. I think some one ordered wheel covers for this car. Ugly and crazy have to find some 14in Rally wheels for it!

JAS

Reaction score
What kind of American Racing Wheels were they?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Thank you found the 86 code :f70x14 white wall tires. I think some one ordered wheel covers for this car. Ugly and crazy have to find some 14in Rally wheels for it!
Why do you think wheel covers? White wall tires were common with all wheels. My 70 R/T was a 14 inch Rallye wheel white wall tire car.

72Cuda340

Reaction score
IMG_5030.jpg

These are the original 14" rallye wheels I have. I had them powder coated in correct argent color. They have the large original center caps on here, but I also have the smaller 71 style with dark gray centers. I wasn't really trying to sell you mine... just saying I thought the powder coating was really nice. They have the trim rings and new Radial TA's. I went to another kind of wheel as soon as I got these back, so they have very little wear, if any really. Montana isn't that far from Idaho.... if you take a road trip let me know.

IMG_5030.jpg

Last edited:

montanamopar

Reaction score
American wheels

What kind of American Racing Wheels were they?
They were ones I purchased in 1980. They are aluminum wheels with plastic center caps with American flag on them. They are in great shape, just want the Rally wheels! The actual wheels that came on the car were the wheels with the slotted lug holes and the inserts for making them available to fit other wheel patterns I'm guessing!

Back