• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear glass - how to install it?

Mopewbie

Reaction score
Hi all, was trying to find a small leak and got a bit carried out and ended up removing the glass.

Now I've been working and fixing things it's almost time to glue the glass back so any helpful tips before I adventure doing it?

It's a 73 Challenger.
Thank you all.

20211029_151945.jpg

heminut

Reaction score
I cleaned the bottom channel on my Cuda really well and coated it with POR-15 before putting the back glass back in. That bottom channel has nowhere to drain and if water gets in there it just sits there, eventually causing it to rust out. Quite often, that's how water ends up getting into the trunk and eventually rusting out the lower quarterpanels and trunk floor. I did this about 20 years ago and I have not had a rust problem since then, even after the car sat parked outside for 3 straight years.

Mopewbie

Reaction score
I cleaned the bottom channel on my Cuda really well and coated it with POR-15 before putting the back glass back in. That bottom channel has nowhere to drain and if water gets in there it just sits there, eventually causing it to rust out. Quite often, that's how water ends up getting into the trunk and eventually rusting out the lower quarterpanels and trunk floor. I did this about 20 years ago and I have not had a rust problem since then, even after the car sat parked outside for 3 straight years.
Thanks. Yes, I did that, it was getting really nasty.

Any special tip on how to sit the glass? Just apply the sealant and sit the glass on top?

Attachments

• 20211029_153754.jpg
    20211029_153754.jpg
    893.3 KB · Views: 114

moparleo

Reaction score
Fix the rust first, don't just cover it up. Liquid butyl rubber is the trick. The local Tint shop used it when removing rear glass for tinting on older cars. No leaks on all of the E-bodies I had over the years with it.

heminut

Reaction score
That's really bad, I would recommend replacing the whole dutchman panel before putting the back glass back in! That looks a lot like mine did when I got my car. I didn't put my back glass back in myself, my buddy at the bodyshop did it. If I remember right, he put a couple of little rubber spacers at the bottom to keep the glass in the right place while the urethane sealer set up.

Mopewbie

Reaction score
Fix the rust first, don't just cover it up. Liquid butyl rubber is the trick. The local Tint shop used it when removing rear glass for tinting on older cars. No leaks on all of the E-bodies I had over the years with it.
Yes, i spent a good time brushing, sandpapering applying body filler and painting already. It's all good to go! :D
I have a U-pol tigerseal black pu sealant just waiting for the glass.

moparlee

Reaction score
Yes, i spent a good time brushing, sandpapering applying body filler and painting already. It's all good to go! :D
I have a U-pol tigerseal black pu sealant just waiting for the glass.
Don't forget to put in the moulding clips before you set the glass.

Mopewbie

Reaction score
Don't forget to put in the moulding clips before you set the glass.
Will do. If not the sealant might prevent it to set in place?

Top and sides ones are OK, 3 missing but nothing at the bottom.
Had some screws in place and no clips so I got rid of the screws and filled the holes.

hpjunke

Reaction score
1385A5C5-B7A6-482A-8900-5B9017082C38.jpeg
I would say to use the butil tape , this way you can move the glass a bit if needed also it’s a cleaner then the glue . I just did this and i had to slightly move the glass around

Attachments

• 9E4281F3-6460-4A04-9749-D911750B03B2.jpeg
    9E4281F3-6460-4A04-9749-D911750B03B2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 108

Mopewbie

Reaction score
View attachment 87421I would say to use the butil tape , this way you can move the glass a bit if needed also it’s a cleaner then the glue . I just did this and i had to slightly move the glass around
Looks neat!

Thanks for the tip, didn't know about that tape. Can order for tomorrow. So just use the tape around and sit the glass on it? Apply the sealant around it after or not even that?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Body filler should not be under glass. just grind clean weld in bad areas. treat prime and paint if you want. place metal clips use rubber wedge to adjust widow placement. other above advice is good!

Attachments

• challenger rear window clip wedge.jpg
    challenger rear window clip wedge.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 126

hpjunke

Reaction score
Looks neat!

Thanks for the tip, didn't know about that tape. Can order for tomorrow. So just use the tape around and sit the glass on it? Apply the sealant around it after or not even that?
No sealant needed with the tape

hpjunke

Reaction score
No sealant needed with the tape
And yeah put the glass in the spot where you want and push it down it’s a real sticky kinda tape but works great , you can also get it in certain thickness i believe i used 5/16

Back