• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Recommendation for Springs

Cazbah362

Reaction score
OK, I am about ready rebuild and re-install my rear-end with the Hotchkis sway bar. Right now I am using a 489 center, TKO 600, and about 600 HP with a 8.75 (4:10'a 1350, spool). At this time, my leafs are 40 year old factory small originals. What I am trying to decide is which direction to go:

1. Stay stalk, clean everything up and install the sway bar. Pro's - cost is low, cons not sure how long it will last behind all this?

2. Superstock springs, and hangers - cost more, but ride like a truck

3. Caltracs - High cost, but will hold up

Still thinking this through, but I believe people have been down this path, so what are your thoughts.

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
You have a rear sway bar so that must mean you want it to handle somewhat. In that case, biased springs like XHD or Super Stock springs are not the hot setup. So I would suggest new springs like the HD springs which are the same both sides but I would add an extra full length leaf to each of them, that will keep the car handling decent. Then I would add Cal Tracs to that to give you go ahead traction when you need it.

Sheldon

71Plym

Reaction score
I have the HD springs +1" from ESPO, CalTracs, and QA1 adjustable shocks on my Cuda.
Also Dana 60, 374 gears with a locker.

IMG_0174.JPG

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Sheldon - Solid insight, thank you I will look at ESPO like 71Plym. 71Plym, hows that set up handle? and do you have a part number on the Q1A's you used?

AUSTA

Reaction score
I have the HD springs +1" from ESPO, CalTracs, and QA1 adjustable shocks on my Cuda.
Also Dana 60, 374 gears with a locker.

View attachment 33975
Did you use the Caltracs with the 2 holes on the front i found a all the speed humps here in Australia if you don't lift the rear of the vehicle at least an inch they scrape on every bloody hump 70 Challenger with Sway bar ,Gabriel shocks ,FF upper control arms ,stiffened bottom
489 3.9 Torsen tru trac 295 x 50 tyres sits very flat through fast corners

Adam

Reaction score
I agree on the ESPO +1.
If I am not mistaken the Super Stock springs are for drag racing and require a special front hanger; the Mopar XHD springs have a reputation for sagging in a short amount of time... you could easily add a leaf to your originals as Ramcharger suggested.

BTW, 71 PLYM that Dana 60 is bad-ass!

71Plym

Reaction score
My Cuda is a hot rod, not a road racer. So I am happy with the handling on the street/strip. Poly bushings throughout. FF level 3 box. Frame connectors. The "CalTracs" were locally made by a buddy. I moved the springs inboard with a Dr. Diff kit and have 295/65 drag radials. We customized the CalTracs for clearance with the spring inboard move. I have no ground clearance issues, but the bars do make a bit of a tinkling sound when driving. You can tighten the preload to stop the sound if desired, or some put rubber on the bolt to make it quiet. I have the preload set for a straight launch.
QA1 shocks can be found here:Stocker Star Non-Coil-Over Shocks | Stock Mount Smooth Body Shock Absorbers | QA1 Suspension

DSC_4125.JPG

Last edited:

Cazbah362

Reaction score
71Ply - Thanks for the information. I too at this time do not have a clearance problem. My TTI's hang real low, but going out of driveway I have plenty of clearance (I was surprised). But I have stock front A-arms at this time, so no lowering. In the future I may go to FF or Hotchkis, - that will be a different thread.

As for the springs, I have a email into ESPO, I will take all your guys advice and add +1. I too heard the stories on the MP leafs - (sags for the the too stiffs), so that was a concern. My second part is the right type of shock. At this time I like the Calverts 9 way adjustable, but the QA1's are very cool too, just mo' money - which I am not sure Santa will allow. I have a Summit very close to my house and they have "shelf deals" - many times QA1's sitting there, just not sure on the part number I would need.

That is a very nice car - and I agree Adam - that Dana setup is bad@$$!

71Plym

Reaction score
I went with Hookers with the TTI 3" exhaust to the tips. No clearance issues.
The QA1s are a little spendy. I just went with single adjustable because of $$. Flip through the QA1 site at the link I provided and you will find the PN you need. If going with +1 springs, measure the full extension length before buying shocks. Some shocks are too short and will bottom out at full extension. Imperial shocks are a stock alternative since they are longer. I measured my full extension and checked the QA1 listings to find the correct length.

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Great advice and thank you! Yes, TTI's with 3", no issues but looks low.

Cazbah362

Reaction score
So a little update. Ordered the ESPO springs last week, awaiting their arrival. Have rebuilt the 489 carrier with 410's and a spool (yes a little much, but got to start from somewhere). Thanks for the guidance, open to more.

Charles

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
410's might be a little much but... I myself tend to go just a bit too much most times, but it usually turns out good

lvd2340

Reaction score
Don't go with the Super Stock Springs, they should not be used with a Caltrac setup.

Cazbah362

Reaction score
LVD - Thanks, I have not been updating things as I should have - So, I went with ESPO like suggested, then Caltracs 9 way adjustable shock set to 5, Hotchkis sway bar, spool with 4:10's and DrDiff disc brakes. Drives nice, I am currently having a US Cartool frame stiffeners, torque boxes and a 6 point cage installed.

Back