• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

shoulder seat belt bolt fell out.

Flchallenger

Reaction score
Had the car tore apart and painted. Someone else put together. Bolt that came out I could wiggle with my fingers and pull it out. It's a 1/2 inch fine thread. Well the hole is to big. So I got to looking at it and it screws into one layer of the sheet metal. I looked at the book and looks like two layers. Anyway I think they drilled a hole in the wrong place for the shoulder seat belt. A new roof skin was added and this car has been in several wrecks years ago. Any thoughts on this. I first thought I just need a bigger bolt but I think it's in the wrong place. Does anyone know about this?

Adam

Reaction score
What car are you working on?

Here s a 71 Challenger without a roof skin. I believe the shoulder bolt belongs in the hole in front of the opening with the yellow wire. Maybe they used the hole behind the opening. If yours is damaged or stripped beyond repair, I believe you could carefully peel back the head liner and put a nut on the back side. Good luck.

8C77BCEE-A9A5-4281-91D9-A43573231456.jpeg

Last edited:

Flchallenger

Reaction score
It doesn't show a nut in the manual on any of the different models. They show two layers of sheet metal. The ebody is real vague and you can't see it well. A bolt kit for seal belts on line, none show a nut just a bolt? That looks like the right area on the picture.

Adam

Reaction score
It doesn't show a nut in the manual on any of the different models. They show two layers of sheet metal. The ebody is real vague and you can't see it well. A bolt kit for seal belts on line, none show a nut just a bolt? That looks like the right area on the picture.
Yes, I’m saying if the threads were damaged you could secure it with a nut on the back side..

Flchallenger

Reaction score
Is there two layers of metal at the point you are saying the seat belt attaches to. I don't think it is in the right spot on my car if there is only one layer of sheet metal.

moparlee

Reaction score
I don't know if there is one or two layers of sheet metal there, but more than likely there is supposed to be a factory welded on nut there just like the the floor pan anchor points for the seat belts. You are either looking at the wrong location or for some reason the nut is gone.

Flchallenger

Reaction score
Headliner is in so you can't see around. I assumed a tack welded nut would be there. So I was floored when it fell out. Adam can you tell us if there is a nut weld on the back side of yours?

Adam

Reaction score
No, sorry. That pic is several years old and the new roof was installed long ago.

Back