• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Side exhaust question

artsgarcia

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just have a quick question,hopefully you all can help.
When you have the exhaust exitting the side in front of the rear tire, how far can you drive before the tire heats up, because i have heard that you cannot drive long distances because the tire heats up and blows. Was this the same problem that the AAR's were experiencing back in the TA circuit??

Thanks, Art

Will be introducing myself at a later date...

Rob C

Reaction score
I nevcer heard this or exp. this problem myself. The tires will heat up more than from the road than an exhaust pipe wouls heat it up. There was never a problem due to this since the exhaust pipe isn't directly on the tire.

Would you put it there?
I know the factory had some brains and didn't.

artsgarcia

Reaction score
I nevcer heard this or exp. this problem myself. The tires will heat up more than from the road than an exhaust pipe wouls heat it up. There was never a problem due to this since the exhaust pipe isn't directly on the tire.

Would you put it there?
I know the factory had some brains and didn't.

I know it's not diectly in the tire, it's a good distance away from it. It's just what I've been told from a friend of mine that had a Chally TA.
I am still going to have the same setup as the AAR because that's what I want to do. I just wanted to see if anyone had heard of this or has some experience. I would like to hear especially from someone that has this setup, AAR, Chally TA..etc.
Thanks for your input!

burntorange70

Reaction score
I would say the factory would never have put it there if it was going to be a problem. I have never heard of that happening.

ramenth

Reaction score
How many cars have you seen that have been built with side exiting exhaust? I can think of 43 which run for hours at a time each weekend, cranking out 9000 rpm running in some pretty friggin' hot temps. And tire failure on those cars have nothing to do with the exhaust coming out in front of the wheel.

Now, to real world experience. My old '79 Ramcharger had the exhaust exiting both sides in front of the rears. Never a problem. I built a set of exhaust for my wife's old '88 Crown Vic the same way (not because it was cool or anything, I just needed to get an exhaust on it and it was cheaper to buy some straight lengths and a couple of elbows) and where I had the pipes coming out on it were closer than the TA/AAR pipes. Again, no issues.

Personally, I think your buddy is blowing smoke. He had a tire issue and immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was the exhaust, 'cause, you know, low pressure, showing cord, burning the hides, those couldn't be blamed on anything other than operator malfunction, right?

artsgarcia

Reaction score
How many cars have you seen that have been built with side exiting exhaust? I can think of 43 which run for hours at a time each weekend, cranking out 9000 rpm running in some pretty friggin' hot temps. And tire failure on those cars have nothing to do with the exhaust coming out in front of the wheel.

Now, to real world experience. My old '79 Ramcharger had the exhaust exiting both sides in front of the rears. Never a problem. I built a set of exhaust for my wife's old '88 Crown Vic the same way (not because it was cool or anything, I just needed to get an exhaust on it and it was cheaper to buy some straight lengths and a couple of elbows) and where I had the pipes coming out on it were closer than the TA/AAR pipes. Again, no issues.

Personally, I think your buddy is blowing smoke. He had a tire issue and immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was the exhaust, 'cause, you know, low pressure, showing cord, burning the hides, those couldn't be blamed on anything other than operator malfunction, right?

Thanks for your input

Rob C

Reaction score
Aiming the exhaust tips at the tire would be an issue. They should run straight out or turned down.

ramenth

Reaction score
If you're planning on running the AAR-T/A style here's a pic for you:

aar-exhaust.jpg

aar-exhaust.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
Facing out would look a lot better than turn downs (IMO)

The issue I had with side exiting exhaust was when at idle at a stop light, etc, the exhaust sometimes wafted back into the cabin.

I think it would be worse with downspouts as the exhaust would be blowing on the road and bouncing right back. Angled back a little, like the AAR-T/A pipes, would push the exhaust away from open windows.

burdar

Reaction score
97 Ford F-150's came with a single exhaust pipe infront of the rear passengers side tire. They had problems with the wheels discoloring and the center caps melting. They never officially issued a recall, but if you complained about it, they would install a full length tail pipe at no charge.

I've never heard about anyone having this issue with an E-body. You'll be fine.

EV2AAR

Reaction score
I have driven my AAR 300+ miles in a one way trip , never had any tire issues an I have Polyglas repos. No exhaust into cabin issue either

Back