• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Six Pack contradiction.

V12T

Reaction score
Finally fitted my six pack to my 440. A while ago I downloaded information on tuning them (can't remember where from). One author says -

",.....I like a six pack to come in quick,....you'll have to buy 2 spring kits, replace with the "white" springs if you want a quick responding set-up,....if you what a mid range set-up use the "yellow" springs,.....any thing in the brown or black range is worthless"

Another says "Install the BLACK springs – Just do it, ignore everything else you have read.
Install the BLACK springs – Just do it, ignore everything else you have read.
Yes I repeated that, explained way below...."

Can anybody give me guidance - what colour springs are you using?

Reaction score
Where are you reading to use a black spring? Who is telling you this?

I use yellow, 3800 pound car with driver, 3.91 gears. And they could open a bit faster for me.

all the specs on the car makes a difference.

I know a foolish guy that swears he needs black springs and his SiX pack don’t work good. He has pro-max metering plates. He either cant remember or won’t tell me who told him to use black.

black just makes no sense. Why slow them down so much?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Everything affects this , Cam , diff gearing , tire size , Auto or 4 spd trans , stall converter speed , tuning of the ign / advance curve , headers or manifolds & on it goes ..... every car is different .
If you think of the 6 pack as a 4bbl which really it is no different , if the secondary opens too fast all you have is a bog while you wait for the engine to actually need that much air , conversly if it opens too late the engine will quit making power as the vacuum increases in the intake waiting for the secondary to open , neither is good !
So you need to lighten the spring pressure until it starts to bog from opening too fast then step back up to the next more stiff spring to create the ideal opening point .
SO here is a tip no one thinks about ... you can just change 1 spring when it starts to bog , the opening rate is determined by the combination of the pressure of both springs but nowhere does it say both springs have to be the same rate , often a combined rate of 2 different springs works better .

dadeo1852

Reaction score
I have 1 brown and 1 black in mine and from a very slow roll, mashing it hard I can still feel a little hesitation after initially taking off. A normal roll and flooring it, it doesn't hesitate. Even a cold or warm day makes a difference.
Andy

Old Mopar

Reaction score
Whose telling? I'm telling, come on argue with me i'm bored, I can tune a six pak... :steering:
How do you know when you are "there”? the set up is correct

750-900 rpm idle [engine dependant] with even cadence in the exhaust rumble. If the set up is optimum a digital tach will show the very occasion of a dropped cylinder and you can hear it.
The engine when cold starts easily runs and drives smoothly from the get go.
The car gets up and goes when the loud pedal is floored!
The engine when hot soaked - restarts immediately without touching the throttle
There is no smell in the exhaust or drone.
The bottom of the intake not wet with unburned fuel. Open a throttle blade and look!
ALL of the spark plugs are clean and white with no specking from detonation.

When the engine is rev’d and the throttle released it immediately returns to idle.
The vacuum advance is hooked up and the car drives well.

Secondaries
The reason black spring are specified is to delay the opening of the secondaries until the engine is ready. Time and time again experience has shown that street engines run well on just the center carb till at least 3000 rpm. When the secondaries open the air fuel mixture spikes lean but at proper rpm this event is transparent and has no affect on performance. The opening of the secondaries should be seamless, but very apparent and usually scary to the uninitiated. Tis better to work with late opening secondaries in the initial phase of tuning rather than too soon Secondaries that come in too soon cause the bog & also bring fuel into the mix too soon, which will change the AF ratio across the board and leave hp on the table.
Mixing springs is bs.
The min operating temp needs to be 195
:popcorn:

Last edited:
Back