• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Slant 6 to 440

Adam

Reaction score
Keep the slant six power steering pump, it will give you more road feel than a v8 unit... if you swap it out just switch the valve behind the inlet fitting.

Search the web for a Mopar Action article called “pump it down” for more info.

SFEbody

Reaction score
Adam what do you mean by "more road feel"? I did intend to keep the /6 pump if it bolts up to the new brackets.

Adam

Reaction score
Chrysler power steering, in my opinion, has too much assist. Maybe when I’m 80 I will like steering with one finger, but I doubt it.
Firm Feel is a company that offers steering boxes with 3 levels of firmness check their website and links.
Also, find and read the “Pump it down” article...

I have a Firm feel box (Stage 3, I think) and the pump it down mod in my 71 Chally and I love it. Compared to my old 70 Cuda it is wonderful....

SFEbody

Reaction score
IMG_0167.jpg

Today I dropped in the 440,tried to do it with the tranny on it but the cheap harbor Freight hoist would not get me close enough to clear the firewall. Took the trans off and slid in like butter. BIG difference from the SLANT /6 Now hooking everything up. stay tuned.

View attachment 45904

Last edited:

SFEbody

Reaction score
Running into a snag, used my old power steer pump on new 440 source brackets and it is about an inch from lining up to the crankshaft pulley. If anyone has experienced this let me know if you have a good fix.

SFEbody

Reaction score
Ok, Engine is in its home, trans bolted in and everything hooked up. Will post some photos Saturday.

halifaxhop

Reaction score
Just curious how is the clearance on the pass side to get to the spark plugs? 4 and 6 on my dart are horrible, really thinking of drilling holes to get access to them.

SFEbody

Reaction score
Update .... As soon as I get the parthound wiring harness from Tommy. I’m ready to fire it up. Need to swap the rear end and cut down the driveshaft yet!!!!! Damn Holliday travel will put me on hold a few weeks. :-(.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
Looking real nice. Have you run your 4 speed thru the gears yet? It looks like the reverse rod bracket is up side down. How did you come out on your power steering belt alignment?

SFEbody

Reaction score
Thanks Lee. I will flip it. It looked weird but did not shift yet. (Can’t find my Hurst shifter ). I shimmed it with washers like you suggested. I wanted to keep the slant six pump because it has less assist tha the V8 pumps according to Adam

Tom Berkebile

Reaction score
I can speak from experience. My 72 came with a /6. I put a 383 with a 391 rear gear in it back in 82. I went from 19s to 14s. If I would have put smaller tires on the rear I'm sure it would have been in the 13s. You will be amazed!!. Mine rusted off the wheels but I've almost got it back together again. Painting the bottom before Xmas. I also swapped the K-frame. You did the right thing there. I think the conversion brackets have interference issues. I also kept the slant 6 T-bars in mine back in the 80s. It was incredible for drag racing but I couldn't take a corner hard. The /6 T-bars would only bring the K-frame 4" off the ground.

SFEbody

Reaction score
I am excited Tom. I swapped the T bars for the R/T ones when I swaped all the rest of the front suspension including power disk. Should be a fantastic change driving

DodgeGuy

Reaction score
I can speak from experience. My 72 came with a /6. I put a 383 with a 391 rear gear in it back in 82. I went from 19s to 14s. If I would have put smaller tires on the rear I'm sure it would have been in the 13s. You will be amazed!!. Mine rusted off the wheels but I've almost got it back together again. Painting the bottom before Xmas. I also swapped the K-frame. You did the right thing there. I think the conversion brackets have interference issues. I also kept the slant 6 T-bars in mine back in the 80s. It was incredible for drag racing but I couldn't take a corner hard. The /6 T-bars would only bring the K-frame 4" off the ground.

Tom, love that picture in your profile of your 'Cuda! I really like that color scheme.

I also notice that you're located in NW Ohio, which is where I live. Might I ask where? I'm located in the vincinity of Tiffin/Findlay.

Tom Berkebile

Reaction score
Located in Perrysburg. That is my car from 1982 after it's first new paint job. My 76 Charger is behind it.

SFEbody

Reaction score
Ok, fired her up today after installing my new harness from Tommy @ partshound.net. He makes AMAZING wire harness exact to the OEM. Now have to get the driveshaft cut down.

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

DodgeGuy

Reaction score
Located in Perrysburg. That is my car from 1982 after it's first new paint job. My 76 Charger is behind it.

I didn't even notice the Charger behind it!! Unbelievable, because your Charger looks EXACTLY like my first car, which was a mid-70's Dodge Charger. I can't quite remember if it was a 75, 75, or 77, but it was one of those and looks EXACTLY like yours. It was a green color with a white vinyly roof that covered the area directly above the rear seats only!! Man that's awesome to see, that Charger was THE reason I became a "Mopar Guy". I was 16 back in 1988, and loved that car. My next Mopar was a 1973 Dodge Charger, and then a 1973 Dodge Challenger.

quapman

Reaction score
You'll probably need to get the 440source pump pulley and possibly crank pulley. I just did a conversion with their parts and everything lined up perfectly.

Back