• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Small block to Big block swap?

73E

Reaction score
On a 70 challenger, what is needed to go from 340, to a 440? I know there’s probably a lot of incidentals, looking for the basics other than the actual motors!
Thanks

Reaction score
On a 70 challenger, what is needed to go from 340, to a 440? I know there’s probably a lot of incidentals, looking for the basics other than the actual motors!
Thanks
A bit more info would help, do you have a complete motor with mounts? what transmission are you running?
Likely need to change the radiator, if you're using a 26" now the location of the hose connections are different, the torsion bars, p/s pump, exhaust the list goes on.
Tell us what the plan is and what you currently are running, and what you have for a motor to swap in

73E

Reaction score
A bit more info would help, do you have a complete motor with mounts? what transmission are you running?
Likely need to change the radiator, if you're using a 26" now the location of the hose connections are different, the torsion bars, p/s pump, exhaust the list goes on.
Tell us what the plan is and what you currently are running, and what you have for a motor to swap in
I have no more info, as i have not purchased the car…. Just wanted to get an idea how involved…. As i mentioned, car presently has 340 a/t, i would want to put in 440 4 speed

Reaction score
I have no more info, as i have not purchased the car…. Just wanted to get an idea how involved…. As i mentioned, car presently has 340 a/t, i would want to put in 440 4 speed
This is an involved swap. Not including the motor you will need these [arts from an E body:
An A833 4speed from an E or B body (as long as it has the dual shifter locations), a shifter and all linkage.
A 4 speed hump or tunnel for the floor
Clutch and brake pedal and all linkage, Z bar and pivots
An RB bell housing, flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing, throw out fork
Lot's of other small things like neutral safety start switch, backup lights, etc
I've done it a couple of times, but always had a complete donor car for every part I needed

mrmopar340

Reaction score
Stroke it. You can put 400 at the wheel pretty easy. It will also make big block torque as well and remain light in the front end.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys!
If you have a pretty fat budget, I would look at Blueprint Engines. I put their 408 (stroked 360 magnum) into my Duster and boy, at 465 HP and 515 torque it's a runner! A bit pricey but you can use all your existing parts to save the hassle of a big block swap. I did upgrade my torque converter and put Dougs Headers on.

Deezel

Reaction score
Go big or go home! :)

bigger carb.jpg

Seriously though, I tend to agree with some of the previous posters. A small block stroker with 475hp and 500ft/lbs of torque is pretty achievable and nothing to sneeze at.

mrmopar340

Reaction score
I put 436 hp and 444 ftlbs on the ground with my stroker at 5500 rpm. I could throw some race fuel in there and crank the timing and open the exhaust and put 500 down I think. Probably a little more with a single plane and some more rpm and a 950. But damn, that six pak wows the crowd when you open the hood.

Back