• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Speedometer gear question

72ls5fla

Reaction score
hey

you will need a 35 or 36 tooth gear.
it will really depend on the tire and the rim, how inflated etc..

you may find that one gear will get you more accurate readings at lower speeds, and the other will get better at HWY speeds.
and how well your speedo is calibrated makes a HUGE difference too.

Bill

moparleo

Reaction score
Obviously nobody with a 40 year old mechanical speedo or tach for that matter can expect perfect calibration. The chart in post three will get you to the factory option gear. Or go to a speedometer shop and get it done perfect? When is the last time any of us have honestly had our speedometers cablibrated with all of the rim and tire size changes over the years.

Avalanche

Reaction score
Great way to find out if your speedo is correct.
Most GPS systems have the speed on them. Great to see if your speedo matches it.

dongei

Reaction score
I installed an aftermarket speedo in my Challenger ,looks good but is 7 mph slower than the reading on the face. Speed showing 70mph on speedo but gps speed is 63 mph. Would the teeth on the trans gear need to increase or decrease? Kind of lost on this one. Could use some advice.

BeauBonyx

Reaction score
ok i have question. I am not trying to high jack this.
I have a 904. the gear that was in there is 25 tooth and blueish gray. the whole thing is plastic. I need a new one. any ideas where i can get one. i have looked at a bunch of places on line but nothing is stock.

Bill

Reaction score
I installed a free speedometer app on my smart phone to compare.

Back