• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Starter cranks at all times if battery is connected.

Jeff K

Reaction score
Howdy folks. I have a 71 cuda clone, 340, 4 speed. Last night I pulled into a convenience store on the way home. When I went to start the car to leave, the starter motor would not disengage. The car started, but the starter motor continued to crank. I turned the car off, removed the key from the ignition, and the starter was still cranking. The clutch pedal was not depressed. The only way I could get it to stop cranking over was to disconnect the neg battery cable. Starter and ignition system is essentially stock. No previous symptoms like this, car has been running fine for a couple years. Starter and ignition switch were replaced 3 or 4 years ago due to a non-start issue.

Car's in the garage, battery is charging. I'll look at it later with a voltmeter. Starter? Relay? Ignition switch? Any time-saving suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score
Never heard of this before, but your starter relay is making the connection between your battery and the starter, so I would begin there.

pschlosser

Reaction score
Never heard of this before, but your starter relay is making the connection between your battery and the starter, so I would begin there.
This would be my first guess, too. The starter relay is the thing-deal located next to the battery on the fender well. It must complete the circuit in order for the starter to get power. Do you have a wiring diagram to help troubleshoot?

Last edited:

Jeff K

Reaction score
Thanks all!
It was indeed the starter relay. The battery terminal was shorted to the solenoid terminal inside the relay. I had a new relay to compare ohmmeter readings with. I swapped relays and it works fine now.
> pschlosser - Yes, I have the 71 Chassis and Body Service Manuals. There's a world of help in those books. Thanks again.

Back