• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Staying overnight in Albuquerque, not a good idea

Danny Boy

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm from New Mexico and have no grudge against one of our cities.

If you value your vintage auto or other belongs, you're risking theft if you stay at a local motel overnight.

For years now, I've heard of vehicles, trailers, box trucks, race cars, etc being stolen from motels and it appears that it is nowhere under control. I don't even know if the local motel association cares. This happens at high end motels also.

My wife and I went to the Zia Marching Band Fiesta(Albuquerque) last night and discovered that our marching bands instrument truck had been stolen from a local hotel! Pissed me off, but nothing new.

Visit Albuquerque, just don't stay overnight in a motel unless you plan on sleeping in your car "packing heat"! (Posted in FBBO also)

https://kvia.com/news/new-mexico/20...ment-from-lchs-band-some-items-are-recovered/

Cudaritis

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm from New Mexico and have no grudge against one of our cities.

If you value your vintage auto or other belongs, you're risking theft if you stay at a local motel overnight.

For years now, I've heard of vehicles, trailers, box trucks, race cars, etc being stolen from motels and it appears that it is nowhere under control. I don't even know if the local motel association cares. This happens at high end motels also.

My wife and I went to the Zia Marching Band Fiesta(Albuquerque) last night and discovered that our marching bands instrument truck had been stolen from a local hotel! Pissed me off, but nothing new.

Visit Albuquerque, just don't stay overnight in a motel unless you plan on sleeping in your car "packing heat"! (Posted in FBBO also)

https://kvia.com/news/new-mexico/20...ment-from-lchs-band-some-items-are-recovered/
On my way to Roswell last year, I pulled in to a motel parking lot just to make a call and was followed in by 2 guys eyeballing my trailer. I got out, acted like I was talking on my phone & snuck a short video of them. As I pulled out & got on a major street, they followed until I made a ridiculously unsafe u turn. I stayed at a LaQuinta Inn and the manager let me park right by the front door under the covered entryway, all lit up. I tipped him generously as he was genuinely concerned and familiar with the situation.

budascuda

Reaction score
Sorry to hear what happened to you. Thieves are every where, motels are specially a hot spot....
But look at it this way, you got home safe and sound, I wouldn't sweat the small stuff 😎

Last edited:

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I bought my Barracuda in Albuquerque. Anyway, when I looked at it, I told the seller that I wanted to sleep on it before making a decision, so I got a motel that night. I was going to get a motel either way, since my drive was 8 hours. I'm glad I decided to buy the car the next day and drive straight home, instead of loading it on my trailer and keeping it in the motel parking lot overnight, because who knows what may have happened.

69hemibeep

Reaction score
I traveled I-25 to the I-40 at night and early morning quite often years ago and noted most all the cars broken down any where near Albuquerque was on blocks no tires. Then my brother and his two boys stopped there to get a room for the night. When they came out of the office there were two guys going trough his Suburban already.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the information.
I was just there.
Are you saying they are not going to Mexico? Where are all the stolen cars and such going in New Mexico? North new mexico? I know of several lowly places up there that would gladly take stolen goods but there just isn't a population to support such stolen items.
Out of state then?

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I'm not expert or in the know. I just hear these things because I spend some time in the state.
I am not involved in any stolen cars or property so perhaps I'm just wrong.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I wouldn’t think 300 miles would be too far for a professional car thief to transport a car. But I’m in the same boat as you, I’m not “in the know” nor do I know anything about stealing cars

Danny Boy

Reaction score
When drugs are involved, doesn't matter where the good are fenced........

Albuquerque is awash in drugs and the resultant crime -

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
We are not where you are in Albuquerque yet. But Colorado is catching up. In my little town we have people coming here from the cities and stealing our stuff. First time in 20 years I got broken into this year. Garage and sheds. Multiple bullets awaiting inside home, didn't try my house.
The cops say it's all coming from the cities. They can barely arrest anyone for some reason. Our cops claim it's all because of the drugs coming over the border. Fueling demand for drug addicts.
New Mexico of course is one of the states that is picking up the drugs first. The results are obvious in the state.

heminut

Reaction score
I've lived just north of the border for over 40 years and was in law enforcement here for 23 years. I really think most classic cars stolen in NM don't go to Mexico, it's a very depressed economy down there and not much of a market for that sort of thing. It's mostly late model cars that are usually parted out once they get down there. It's actually very rare to even hear of a classic car being stolen in New Mexico but I'm sure it happens occasionally.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
vintage auto or other belongs.

vehicles, trailers, box trucks, race cars, etc

marching bands instrument truck had been stolen

Not surprised that the vintage cars or race cars aren't going to Mexico. I have a few friends in Mexico that report on any vintage car they see or can find. Not many of them around.
Definitely expect to see all the modern cars as they blend in and are regular driving vehicles.

Back