• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering coupler end cap

Mike73Dodge

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for how to keep the steering coupler end cap from working its way off. I have pulled the column at least twice and tried new parts and seals. Cap keeps coming off. Tabs on the sides will just not keep it in place.

Adam

Reaction score
There is a spring/clamp you can put on. The closed loop end goes over the top by the steering shaft and the ends go in the roll pin hole.

Also, on my 89 Ramcharger I upgraded to a u-joint, but while waiting on the parts I needed to drive it, so I tack welded the tabs. Worked great.

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Thought I had just a picture of steering coupler and clip installed. The way it's installed can be seen here. put power steering box back on so works for both.

Attachments

• 20190911_192519.jpg
    20190911_192519.jpg
    646.5 KB · Views: 172

Daves69

Reaction score
It is much easier to just use the correct add on clip.
Then too, it is possible get the retainer to stay on without a clip. I took me 4 attempts on my '77 Ramcharger before I finally figured it out.
YMMV so no guarantees........
What I found is the original retainer, if in good shape, is better to use since it has been formed to the cup already.
Upon removal, only bend 4 of the tabs on two adjacent sides outward just enough to lift the retainer off.

For retainer install, bend the other 4 tabs (A) inward slightly. This will create some tension for assembly later.
Test fit the retainer to make sure it will fit over the cup. You may need to open the outward bent tabs (B) a bit more.

Before crimping the B tabs back in, make sure the seal is in position and the retainer is held down.
Crimp the B tabs down evenly without your crimp tool pushing on the tabs (A) that you bent inward.
The blue lines indicate crimp points. As the B tabs bend in, the A tabs bend outward creating the tension needed to hold the retainer.

1623676285777.png

My '69 no clip.......

1623677673277.png

Back