• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

T/A hood fitment

Reaction score
So I installed a t/a hood on my 74 Challenger and it seems like the red springs I got from year one seem a bit strong ... I know bow is common with these hoods but does anyone have any ideas ? Anyone sell a even lighter spring ? Stretch out the ones I have? The hood fits nicely with out any springs

20210921_175025.jpg

70chall440

Reaction score
I used springs off of a trampoline on my AAR hood, it will not hold the hood completely open but I made a device that goes into the the holes in the hood hinges and locks it in the up position. You can also use a prop rod.

VillaTA

Reaction score
So I installed a t/a hood on my 74 Challenger and it seems like the red springs I got from year one seem a bit strong ... I know bow is common with these hoods but does anyone have any ideas ? Anyone sell a even lighter spring ? Stretch out the ones I have? The hood fits nicely with out any springs

View attachment 86269
Is this an original hood?

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
Looks like the hood is missing the windshield spray nozzles.

I'm not certain, but I believe there is a slight difference between AAR springs and T/A springs (number of coils)... unsure if YearOne is only selling one common pair... and that could be a problem in the long run.

While the car is sitting in storage (over the winter, etc), you should remove the springs and consider placing some weight onto the hood (heavy books, etc)... that will keep some of the flatness in the hood.

70chall440

Reaction score
Here is my Cuda's hood spring and holder.

I do not believe that there is a difference in TA vs AAR hood springs but I could be wrong. I agree with Mitch that closing the hood and applying some weight along the "bend line" over time may straighten it out some, I seem to remember someone talking about exactly this issue on another forum and had success doing this with the car out in the sun (I think was their technique).

IMG_2933.jpg
IMG_2934.jpg

Last edited:

VillaTA

Reaction score
Actually, I didn’t make the hood prop device, but I’m going to try to make one. Thanks for the link.

74Scooter

Reaction score

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I have some Harwood springs for my fiberglass hood. The gold springs part #210 I have are a medium tension and work perfectly. They also have a low tension in silver part # 200 and a high tension in black part # 215.

IMG_8664.jpg

Last edited:

Rapidfire

Reaction score
I have some Harwood springs for my fiberglass hood. The gold springs part #210 I have are a medium tension and work perfectly. They also have a low tension in silver part # 200 and a high tension in black part # 215.

View attachment 93717
What a beast! Looks like you can pass anything but a gas station! Lol Looks awesome! Wish I had that in my 70! 😎

Back