• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Tach hook up

rbbruno3

Reaction score
What is the best way to hook up a factory tachometer with a MSD 6 AL box? Do I need a conversion to switch to digital ? Thanks

AUSTA

Reaction score
On the 6AL-2 you use the grey wire for the tacho (i put a 1k resistor in series for safety) on the 6AL you may need a filter to connect to coil .

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply Austa.so I need to run the gray wire from the box to the negative side of the coil not to the tach?

AUSTA

Reaction score
No that would damage the box
the grey wire from the box connects to the tach wire
Orange & black wire connects to the coil on a AL6-2 there should be no other wires on the coil.
Do you have the diagram for the AL6

rbbruno3

Reaction score
No ,but I can find it online. it just shows the gray wire going to the tach... On my rally dash the tach has a gray with a tracer wire that pushes on a spade terminal and a dark blue wire that pushes on a threaded type terminal. So where does it hook to this?Thanks again for your help

AUSTA

Reaction score
The DK Blue is 12 + V input from key on.
The Grey wire with trace is signal input connect to grey tach output wire on MSD

quapman

Reaction score
Depending on when your MSD was manufactured, you may need to get their adapter thingie for an older analog tach. If I remember, it creates a signal much like a coil would and is basically just a big electric choke.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
My box I bought in2013. Hooked it up like you stated no dice. Also tried an aftermarket tach hooked to the gray wire a 12 volt feed and ground . That worked fine, maybe I need the tach adapter?

AUSTA

Reaction score
It works on my factory rallye tacho might be a bit fussy on the signal i have a rallye dash on my other A66 with a MSD the tach doesnt work i thought the tach may have been faulty so i didnt bother .
i will have a look next week i can feed an electonic signal to see if it works if so ill let you know .

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Thanks guys I appreciate your help. I ordered a tach adapter hope this does it!!

Last edited:
Back