• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Temp Gauge

Reaction score
The easiest way is remove the wire from the engine sender unit, ground the wire to a good ground on the motor, turn the key on watching the dash gauge. it should go to fully hot in 2or 3 seconds. If it doesn't the dash gauge or wiring to it is bad. Do the other gauges work ok? Sending units are cheap and easy to replace, just need to drain the coolant and screw it in
Ken

stylo bialo

Reaction score
Thanks Ken..Other gauges work good, tried new sending unit, that's why I was wondering about the gauge test.....Stylo

Reaction score
Is this a rally dash? Does the wire to the sender have 5volts? It still could be wiring related, like bulkhead connector. If Ok, pull the dash cluster and make sure the gauge has the 5 volt feed from the voltage limiter. If the other gauges work it probably does. With the cluster out then next step is pulling the gauge from the cluster. I'll look up some info I have I think you can test the gauge with a good ohm meter
Ken

stylo bialo

Reaction score
Is this a rally dash? Does the wire to the sender have 5volts? It still could be wiring related, like bulkhead connector. If Ok, pull the dash cluster and make sure the gauge has the 5 volt feed from the voltage limiter. If the other gauges work it probably does. With the cluster out then next step is pulling the gauge from the cluster. I'll look up some info I have I think you can test the gauge with a good ohm meter
Ken
Ok..I'll check for 5 volts to sending unit...any help is appreciated!...Thanks again!....Stylo

Reaction score
Ok, just checked a known pair of working spare gauges, negative lead on the gauge feed (5 volt side, wire unhooked) positive lead on the output or "violet" terminal (wire unhooked) temp gauge was 11.8 ohms reading, fuel gauge "blue" terminal was 12.1 ohms hope this helps.
Ken

stylo bialo

Reaction score
Ok, just checked a known pair of working spare gauges, negative lead on the gauge feed (5 volt side, wire unhooked) positive lead on the output or "violet" terminal (wire unhooked) temp gauge was 11.8 ohms reading, fuel gauge "blue" terminal was 12.1 ohms hope this helps.
Ken
Will do that test...Thanks Again!....Stylo

Back