• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Terrible ride quality - rear end clunks and bangs

dogmagolf

Reaction score
What should I be looking at for suspension issues in the rear? Even driving over a sewer lid feels like I hit a pothole in the back end. A lot of clunking when over bumps, uneven pavement and just overall rough drive. Front end feels fine. Originally I thought that something was clunking in the trunk, but after checking that off, it is definitely suspension issues. There is a lot of rattling and clunking in the interior, but most of that is from the unbolted rear seat right now. I can definitely tell it is coming from the back end when hitting a bump (or sewer lid even). Where should I start to sort this out? What suspension systems do you recommend as far as brands etc? 1971 Challenger 440-6.

TIA
Jon .:R

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
As you go through the above mentioned. I would look for cross threaded bolts that are tight but not holding tight.

moparleo

Reaction score
First order of business, get the car up on a rack so you can thoroughly inspect the complete underside of the car.
Take pictures, Don't drive the car until you know what is loose/broken.
You could just cause more damage to your car or have an accident depending on the problem.
Get back to us with your inspection results and then we can give you our opinions.

Qtip

Reaction score
I will say this. 72 Charger. Same deal. Bushings in the front hangers were trash after shocks and shackles. Sounded like the ass end was going to fall out.

Bret Schneider

Reaction score
If it ever had air shocks on it back in the day check the rear shock mounts / bolts. Guys (ok, including me :cool:) would jack up the rear end of the car using the air shocks putting stress on those parts which were never designed to act as shackles. Noises will appear to be coming from the trunk area.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Once you start looking at the places the others above have described, you should find the problem quickly. Sounds like something is really worn out, busted or on the verge of letting loose.

Mike73Dodge

Reaction score
I had one of my rear sway bar bushings walk out of it's bracket. That created a knocking noise that was a little hard to diagnose, just because it was not easily visible. This might explain the noise but probably not the ride quality problem. I would agree with "air shocks" diagnosis also. I did a full rotisserie restoration on my 73 and the holes for the upper shock connection were elongated and had to be reworked.

Rear sway bar bushing.png

floyd

Reaction score
I had an awful clunking noise that turned out to be a bad shock.

casper

Reaction score
All sounds like good advice. I would start by checking for lose bolts and parts. Not to forget to look at the wheel lugs. Could be that simple. Don't buy till you narrow it down to an specific part or two.

convdart440

Reaction score
Also if the car as an adjustable pinion snubber (which is unlikely ) but on the chance you do it might be set to high. Is your spare tire and bumper jack etc secured in the trunk? Inspect all bushings ,bolts and brackets . Never hurts to get s wrench on them to make sure they are tight,
Grab the shocks and springs and yank on them and see if they move or clunk. Make sure the ubolts are holding leaf spring brackets the shocks bolt to

dogmagolf

Reaction score
Hi All,

Follow up to this one, problem solved, was a bump stop issue that we re-looked at the clearance and took care of it. Rides much better now. Thanks for all your input!

Slug

Reaction score
Vinny from Bergen County, I grew up in Emerson, where are you from? My son saw somebody in New Milford driving a super bee around today.

Vinny

Reaction score
Hi All,

Follow up to this one, problem solved, was a bump stop issue that we re-looked at the clearance and took care of it. Rides much better now. Thanks for all your input!
Vinny from Bergen County, I grew up in Emerson, where are you from? My son saw somebody in New Milford driving a super bee around today.
Good morning! I was not driving my super bee yesterday, but if it was the red one, which it had to be, It's from the repair shop in NEW MILFORD. He, the owner of the place just picked that one up. It is an A12 tribute, from a real 383 super bee. PM me if you like.

Vinny

Back