• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Testing 3 speed wiper switch and motor

70Hardtop

Reaction score
I just bought a 3 speed wiper motor off ebay. It's a remanufactured unit. I have tried to test it on a battery but only get one speed (from the brown wire) all others give nothing. So i figure i need to test it through the switch. But i want to test the switch first as it is in unknown condition. All i know is that the resistor pack on the side has the correct resistor values when measured. But mine is different to both the switches in the 73 Challenger service manual and the 71 service manual. The manuals both have 7 terminals, my switch only has 5 (not including the Washer terminal)

Service Man. terminals: B, P, B/U, A, F1, F2, R

My switch terminals: B, P, A, F1, F2

A Common terminal
B Battery
P Park
F1 Shunt Field
F2 Series Field
R ?Resistor?
B/U ?

The continuity test table gives test procedures between the different terminals. No idea what B/U refers to.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Maybe my 3 speed switch is from a different car, Charger or Dart maybe...

Not sure how to test the switch if i am missing 2 terminals

I can post some pictures of the schematics if that helps

thanks

70CUDA4SPEED

Reaction score
Maybe this can help you.
Here you go.

Bench testing procedure.

Test #1(Hi speed)

Connect jumper wire from motor case to battery ground.
Connect second jumper wire from battery positive to BROWN lead.
Motor should run hi speed continuously.

Test #2 (Lo speed)

Connect jumper wire from GREEN wire to battery ground.
Join BROWN and RED wires together and connect a jumper wire from battery positive to them.
Motor should run at slower speed.

Test #3 (Park)

Connect jumper lead from GREEN to BROWN wire.
Connect jumper wire from red wire to ground.
Connect jumper wire from Blue wire to battery positive.
Motor should reverse and park.

(Depending on where the motor had stopped the park feature may have a full rotation or very short rotation

70Hardtop

Reaction score
Wow, thanks! That is looking like exactly what i need. Although that looks like a 2-speed test, but 3 speed should not present much trouble. I will try tomorrow, well, later today, more correctly (5am here now and have to get to bed!) I will tell you how i go. Then i just need to work out this switch. But i am messaging a seller on Ebay, he rebuilds the switches, so hopefully he will also be helpful.

thanks again!

Last edited:

70Hardtop

Reaction score
Yes, i actually found that same set of instructions doing a Google search. And it does work, which is good news. However it can only test low and high. I think to get the third (middle?) speed you need to connect the switch which has the 2 resistances built in. Anyone bench tested a 3 speed motor and wanted to do this? (ie, get all three speeds)

Back