• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

TKO 600 in a 70 Barracuda

Cazbah362

Reaction score
OK guys, looking to install a TKO 600 in my 1970 Barracuda behind a 451. Here is what I am looking at an would take any pointers.

Right now I have bought a TCET5009, or GM 600. Here are some of my concerns and thoughts. The 451 has Victor heads. My plan was to use TTI exhaust. Two issues with the exhaust is one you need to dimple them for the Victors other part is needing to buy TTI clutch bars, this is with a stock bell housing. I am looking at a Quicktime bell housing, concern is the manual clutch will not work with the above setup. Does anyone have any experience with QT bell and TTI's

Next thought is the shifter location. The shifter now is the rear most location inline, not offset like the conversion type offered by Hurst or American customs. What will need to be "adjusted" to make this fit?

Hydraulic clutch set-up, which is the best system to purchase.

Next - does anyone have part numbers, what I have found is Hurst et-al charge a large mark-up, should be able to find them at lower rates.

Also, I have read the threads on this site, great but need more information.

Thanks

Cazbah362

Reaction score
This project is moving forward. Here is what I have learned.

Called Hurst, very strong arm sales tactics, not impressed. Told me since I have a GM (5009) I was screwed up and could not install with out going double over the budget. His recommendation was to buy their kit for $5,800 (puff,puff,pass jackass).

After this moronic conversation, I call Silver Sport Transmission and spoke with Ben H. Great guy, very helpful and would recommend him to anyone doing this conversion.

I ordered my Quick-Time bell housing (RM6079) on Ebay from KMJ, by far the lowest overall price out there to date.

I was on the edge for doing a hydraulic clutch, now I am fully committed. After speaking with Ben and we discussed the set-up, he recommended a few parts. By the time I was off the phone I purchased the following items:

1. Trans-tunnel plate ($20)
2. 5 Speed outline for pistol grip ($15)
3. Cross member for conversion ($250)
4. Hydraulic clutch kit ($350)

Ben also explained how to wire my reverse lights and provided a transmission mount numbers to purchase locally.

Ben also recommended for me to send my transmission back to them to install the shifter for a 70-74 E Body. I believe I am going to do it along with have them install the throwout bearing while its there. Shipping prices suck and really is the big distraction on this entire process.

Once all of this is complete, I will purchase the clutch, not sure which one to go with so keeping this open at this time.

Hope this sparks a bit of conversation

Cazbah362

Reaction score
This project is moving forward. Here is what I have learned.

Called Hurst, very strong arm sales tactics, not impressed. Told me since I have a GM (5009) I was screwed up and could not install with out going double over the budget. His recommendation was to buy their kit for $5,800 (puff,puff,pass jackass).

After this moronic conversation, I called Silver Sport Transmission and spoke with Ben H. Great guy, very helpful and would recommend him to anyone doing this conversion.

I ordered my Quick-Time bell housing (RM6079) on Ebay from KMJ, by far the lowest overall price out there to date.

I was on the edge for doing a hydraulic clutch, now I am fully committed. After speaking with Ben and we discussed the set-up, he recommended a few parts. By the time I was off the phone I purchased the following items:

1. Trans-tunnel plate ($20)
2. 5 Speed outline for pistol grip ($15)
3. Cross member for conversion ($250)
4. Hydraulic clutch kit ($350)

Ben also explained how to wire my reverse lights and provided a transmission mount numbers to purchase locally.

Ben also recommended for me to send my transmission back to them to install the shifter for a 70-74 E Body. I believe I am going to do it along with have them install the throwout bearing while its there. Shipping prices suck and really is the big distraction on this entire process.

Once all of this is complete, I will purchase the clutch, not sure which one to go with so keeping this open at this time.

Hope this sparks a bit of conversation

national

Reaction score
Would like to hear more about the GM600..did you have to cut the tunnel any? How expensive is the tranny? Thinking about converting a column auto 70 cuda but want more than a 4 speed

Adam

Reaction score
I put a TKO 600 in my 71 Challenger, with a hydraulic clutch throw out, and TTI exhaust, no big problems with those, I did have a slight clearance problem where the right side of the trans touched the trans tunnel, but I was able to easily push the tunnel out with a pry bar, no cutting needed. My shifter came up right in the center of the factory hole, like it was supposed to. ( Hyd clutch rod.jpgClutch master.jpgShifter.jpgTrans made for Mopar swap)

Hyd clutch rod.jpg

Clutch master.jpg

Shifter.jpg

Adam

Reaction score
Also the TKO has an internal Neutral Safety Switch, so no need for the expensive/hard to find, NSS on the pedal. This trans wire can also be routed to another switch to act as a kill switch. So the trans would have to be in neutral and the other switch would also have to be in the correct position to allow starting.

VJ500

Reaction score
Any progress? What gears are you running? I am considering the same swap for my 73 challenger, 4 speed, 500 stroker… did you get the .64 overdrive TKO?? How is that working with your motor?

rolling_thunder

Reaction score
Cazbah -

The shifter location can not be moved from that location unless you replace that tail shaft with the specific E-body tail (not available separately) that has a slightly divorced shifter....

Your options are - use a center exit shift location like what it already present on your transmission, or purchasing a offset shifter handle mount for a generic application --- not sure what your plans are for the rest of the car as far a console or what not but there may be other options - they just don't strike me at the moment.

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Good morning all - Well thank goodness for this thread, went looking for my numbers and had a Dori moment. Anyways - TKO600 in and driving, no tunnel cuts - nothing - easy. Now I need to wire up neutral safety, speedo and reverse light. I did end up sending off the SST, good decision - Ben was great, and bought many of my parts from the sale rack at Summit or Ebay - low cost - but high quality.

So now I am off to find rear-end gears - TKO Gears are as follows:

(1st) - 2.87 (2nd) - 1.89 (3rd) - 1.28 (4th) - 1.00 (5th) - .64 (Rev) - 2.5

I am running 265/60 15's on the rear - MY new question is what gears would you run and why? I believe I have 3:91's right now, should I go to 4:10's or 4:30's? - Thought (Yes track time, cruising, hot rodding and general "spirited" driving every now and then.

Adam

Reaction score
I have 3:55,s in my Challenger. My thought on this was: 1. the Challenger is a heavy car, but the low first gear of the Tremec is equal to 4:10s with my tire size; and with the overdrive the engine is only turning at 2500 rpms around 85mph; 2. my engine is a warmed over 440 and I selected a cam to make massive earth rotating torque for all around driving, giving up a little high rpm power. I did not think I would be revving the engine above 5000 very often; 3. it smokes the tires at will, and easily chirps the tires going into every gear, any lower gear would be impossible to get any traction; 4. and just for fun 5000 rpm is equal to 170 mph!

With you're 451, I think 4.10s would be too low... drive it for awhile and see what you like.

Last edited:

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Adam, thank you, what tire size are you running? and great advice, I will probably take it.

rolling_thunder

Reaction score
if you dont mind me asking - did SST give you a E-body specific tail shaft? if so could you hit me with a PM with the price? I happen to have the tail shaft that someone sold me (pulled the E-body Keisler trans and swapped the tail portion to put it in an A-body) - no idea what the thing is worth

Relax426

Reaction score
I would keep an eye on that clutch cylinder at that angle. I had one on my road runner and it will wear one side of the cylinder and leak.

Back