• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

TKX 5-speed with 6.4-close-ratio or wide-ratio trans with 4.11 rear gearing?

moparlifer

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm ordering a TKX for my resto-mod '70 Barraccuda
Was wondering what those on the forum have experienced / suggest and why?
The wide ratio is 3.27, 1.98, 1.34, 1.00, .72
Close ratio is 2.87, 1.89, 1.28, 1.00, .68 or .81
I have the springs moved inboard an couple inches and have the B-body width Dana 60 with 4.11 gears so I should get pretty good traction.
The wide ratio seems like it would be a real stump-puller with a 6.4, 4.11 axle, and big rear tires. maybe too much torque to manage on the street in 1st? However i like the idea of staying in gear longer to use the wider torque curve of the 6.4.
The close ratio is less gearing in 1st so maybe better for not burning-rubber off the line, but more frequent shifting?
Isn't a close ratio for cars with a narrower power band to stay within?
I've read most of the TKX threads but didn't see one discussing the close vs wide ratio boxes.
Thoughts appreciated but actual TKX experience with either is awesome! Thanks !

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
All my life I have used the Mopar OD 4 spd manual , the first gear is 3.09 & od is .71 , I love those ratios a lot of snap off the line & good RPM on the highway , in my race car I was using 4:30 rear gears & that still gave me better than 3.23 on the highway so with 4:11 it would be 2.90 in OD .
I would go with wide ratio especially with an engine that makes a lot of torque .

moparlifer

Reaction score
All my life I have used the Mopar OD 4 spd manual , the first gear is 3.09 & od is .71 , I love those ratios a lot of snap off the line & good RPM on the highway , in my race car I was using 4:30 rear gears & that still gave me better than 3.23 on the highway so with 4:11 it would be 2.90 in OD .
I would go with wide ratio especially with an engine that makes a lot of torque .
Thanks for the reply. sounds like what I want. Good off the line but reasonable final ratio for freeway driving to shows!

Back