• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Tranny Mount Spacers

sdcbowler

Reaction score
Fellow Members, seeking assistance with this issue. '70 Challenger, 727 trans. I always thought the spacer for the rear tranny crossmember where placed between the tranny and the mount. This page from the Service Manual indicates the spacer is to be located under the the head of the bolt like a washer, which doesn't make much sense to me. Please view attachment. What's your opinion?

Attachments

• Spacer.pdf
    54.3 KB · Views: 201

Steve340

Reaction score
I put mine like the FSM and no problems.
I checked my driveline angle and it is good.
IMO slipping those little buggers between the transmission and the mount by factory workers would be a no go

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
If you think about the factory placement of the of the so called spacer,it's more for re enforcement for torque. misnomer.

sdcbowler

Reaction score
OK. Thanks much. I like to know things, so I am wondering what purpose they serve.......Its just a square washer that doesn't change the alignment of the tranny. The only other purpose it could serve would be to keep the bolt from 'bottoming out' when installing the tranny and the isolator. I guess it's easier to manufacture a batch of square washer rather than make the mounting hole in the tranny deeper or make the bolt shorter....

That's my guess

Steve340

Reaction score
Your theory is probably pretty close. My bolts have spring and square washers and they do come close to bottoming out I figured.

sdcbowler

Reaction score
Consensus says the FSM is correct, so I will go with that. Thanks members, for your input.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the mount has slotted holes the square washer / spacer cover the slot so yes it goes under the head of the bolt below the mount

Back