• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trunk Lid Rods Rattling - 1970 Challenger

DY31970

Reaction score
Hi, I've been getting noise from the trunk and have figured it out. The two trunk lid rods that go across from one trunk hinge support to the other are making noise. About halfway across the trunk, they cross and are up against each other. Should there be a piece rubber to separate them to stop them rattling together?

Deepcdiver

Reaction score
Hi, I've been getting noise from the trunk and have figured it out. The two trunk lid rods that go across from one trunk hinge support to the other are making noise. About halfway across the trunk, they cross and are up against each other. Should there be a piece rubber to separate them to stop them rattling together?
Is it a high vibrating sound? I have the same issue if so. Was thinking that was the problem. How did you figure out it was them?

DY31970

Reaction score
When I have the trunk lid all the way open and knock on the rods I didn't hear anything. But when I closed the lid most of the way and reached in and tapped on the rods I heard the rattling noise I hear when driving the car. Also the noise causes the package tray to resonate. I'm going to put a rag in between where the rods touch and that should eliminate the sound. Putting a rubber fuel line around one of the rods would be a more permanent fix.

Deepcdiver

Reaction score
When I have the trunk lid all the way open and knock on the rods I didn't hear anything. But when I closed the lid most of the way and reached in and tapped on the rods I heard the rattling noise I hear when driving the car. Also the noise causes the package tray to resonate. I'm going to put a rag in between where the rods touch and that should eliminate the sound. Putting a rubber fuel line around one of the rods would be a more permanent fix.
I wonder if it is a tension issue that could be resolved by some adjustment. The rubber sounds like a good idea though.

Deepcdiver

Reaction score

Found this, it’s a cougar but the rubber is a thing in them.

DY31970

Reaction score
Thanks for the video Deepcdiver. I called Dante's Mopar parts and the gentleman told me about the Trunk slider. It is plastic and it slides over one of the trunk truss rods and keeps the 2 rods from touching and making noise. If anyone is interested, the part number is TS2-Trunk slider/70E-body.

Deepcdiver

Reaction score
Thanks for the video Deepcdiver. I called Dante's Mopar parts and the gentleman told me about the Trunk slider. It is plastic and it slides over one of the trunk truss rods and keeps the 2 rods from touching and making noise. If anyone is interested, the part number is TS2-Trunk slider/70E-body.
Awesome!

Back