• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

TTI headers hit slap stick linkage

Heywodja

Reaction score
i am installing 2” TTI headers on my 73 challenger with a 440. The slapstick linkage is hitting the collector flange. I have already removed a 1/4 from the bracket and flipped shifter rod to the top side per the TTI directions. There is still interference from the collector flange, and It will not allow the shifter to go into park. I loosened the header and moved it so I could shift into park.
Can I move the mounting hole inward about a half inch and grind off the end if the z bar so it will clear the header, my wrench is pointing to the location I want to relocate the attachment.

CABEE10B-8A03-483A-86F0-C4A612717DA4.jpeg

17BDAF9D-DA80-42C2-9AC5-7155910BCC22.jpeg

Steve340

Reaction score
You could grind of the linkage to somewhere near the diameter of that washer and it will still be plenty strong.
I would shape the linkage and grind a little clearance in to the header flange if you need to.
A slight groove in that flange will not hurt just stay away from the gasket surface.
If you shift that pivot point you will alter the ratio of something.

Heywodja

Reaction score
I actually loosened the header so it would engage into park, the linkage hits the collector just about dead center of the existing hole where the linkage is now located..there are two small nicks on the left edge of the linkage where there is contact..

Adam

Reaction score
Do you have conversion type motor mounts that are too high?

Did you buy the the headers from TTI, could they be for a B engine?

I agree with Steve340, you could notch the flange.... looks like you only need a fraction of an inch...

Heywodja

Reaction score
I am using stock motor mounts, and I bought the headers from tti.

There is way more than a notch unfortunately, the header was loose in order to get it into park. it would actually be about 1/2 inch in which would put it in the middle of the existing hole where the rod mounts into it.

rogue

Reaction score
call TTI and see what they recommend

rogue

Reaction score
unfortunately not
Phone: 951-371-4878 / Phone Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:00pm PT

Coupe

Reaction score
I agree with steve340, if you change the pivot point, you shorten the throw. You may not reach Park or Low. Do you have clearance with the cross member to modify the Z bar to make it higher? Perhaps section the torque shaft to make the Z bar higher. I had a similar problem, but I had shorty headers, and was able to dent the down pipe to get my clearance. .

Last edited:

72chally440

Reaction score
I know this is an older post, but I see others are having same problem I had. I have the 2" headers setup in my 72 with a 440. I ended up shortening the shifter Z bar (floor shifter type) by cutting out a small section (about 1/4"+/-) and rewelding it. Be careful that you don't take so much out that lower end of shaft does not rest in pivot bracket and put a vertical match mark on shaft so you retain proper orientation. Still had to follow other TTI instructions. Problem solved.

Back