• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Vinyl Tops

Xcudame

Reaction score
I'd like to get peoples opinions regarding vinyl tops. Both my 70 Challenger and 71 Barracuda were originally vinyl top cars. Challenger's roof is currently painted white, but I have the correct vinyl top in a box. I'm thinking painting the roofs with multiple coats of paint. Maybe spray on undercoating first as well? The factory primered the roofs, but never finished them prior to putting on the vinyl top. Just trying to prevent any future rust issues.

pschlosser

Reaction score
I love the Metal Ready (rust conversion) POR-15 product, but the paints, less so. Regardless which sealing primer/paint you use, when you prep the surface prior to installing the top, you should not have issue for decades.

My understanding as to why the factory vinyl tops caused so much damage in the first decade of their life was the poor quality adhesives used in the 1970s. I believe the adhesives in use, today, are considerably better than those used back then.

I like the look of vinyl tops, and they give the vintage Mopar a nice look. Most modern cars have painted roofs, so the vinyl top is a touch of class.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
First of get the top out of the box. get the folds out of it.My roof was in good shape. removed some small rust spots on the sail panel and along drip edge area. Treated with SEM Rust Mort. Put a coat of primer and paint on. I used KBS Diamond clear because of the high heat capability. I also had USC 2K spray Max clear. paint a center line. If your roof needs extensive work use a 2k primer and finish off and scuff up.
This might be a help.

20220516_174405.jpg

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies! I certainly have a good plan now. There is something about vinyl tops that just look classy. The extra chrome trim helps as well. And I definitely agree that adhesives are many times better today than 50 years ago!

cuda joe

Reaction score
no undercoat glue probably won;t stick .paint roof with a good quality catalyzed paint from a auto paint store it has to be fully cured or the paint off gassing will bubble up the top tell the paint rep what you are doing

Xcudame

Reaction score
Thank you all. I definitely like the idea of painting the roof and letting it cure (outgass) first. That seems like it would give the best protection for the vinyl top.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I watched many YT videos on how to install the vinyl top. I taped off the area where the top goes and used a fine sandpaper (forgot the grit) in that area so the glue had something to "bite" too. Determined exact centerline of the vinyl top and the roof for perfect alignment. Then had help from a friend that had the proper spray glue gun. Best to do on a hot day with a lot of sunshine.20220904_111050.jpg20220904_121121.jpg20220904_131214.jpg20220904_134050.jpg

Back